Best Type Of Sprayer For Multi Trees.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have about 20 fruit trees that need spraying. What type of sprayer is best? I am thinking backpack type. Is there one that runs on batteries rather them pump? And is asking for EZ to clean pushing it?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
IF you are using chemicals, round-up and nitrogen will clean it up. Then run nitrogen water mix through it. Chemicals become imbedded in the plastic.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nitrogen water mix @seedcorn ? More details?

Nyboy, check with your county extension office. Ours will let you borrow a tow behind sprayer (tow behind quad or lawn tractor) and has a good reach. This is second hand knowledge as I have not borrowed one.

Otherwise, I like my Solo backpack sprayers. They are pump action, but not the same pump as a handheld (read sucky) sprayer. Not difficult at all, and anyway what's a little extra arm exercise going to hurt?

I don't know how tall your trees are, but I can spray about 10 feet with my backpacks.

Easy to clean, just fill with water and spray through. I never leave anything in the tank, I try to only mix what I need, but if there's some left that I can't use that day I pour into a labeled container.

I was told baking soda and water sprayed through would clean spray residue out. I've done that, but am relying on what the county weed guy said.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Plastic absorbs chemicals. Round up is a soap. It will pull whatever chemicals you used out of the plastic. Ammonia and water will finish the job.

If your sprayer has filters, make sure you clean them out or replace. If you have a spray boom, make sure you clean from last tip to end of boom. Chems get caught there and you can't get out.

I buy cheap 1 gallon sprayers and dedicate them to whatever purpose I want to use them for.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mostly mine are used for repellents, but I have one dedicated for herbicide.
Cheap one gallon sprayers are the suckiest! You must be a very patient and longsuffering human, Seed. You couldn't pay me to use one.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am married with children..... although they are grown & gone.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use a 15 gal sprayer with an elect 12 volt pump. I mount it on the back of my ATV and hook the wires up to the ATV battery.
It sprays quite a distance, so should get up far enough in fruit trees to do some good.

THANX RICH

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
So what is problem with cheap sprayers? I find they put out anything from a fine mist to a stream. Great for spraying small sections or going after small patches of weeds. Or for foliar feeding in garden. For big jobs, I bring out the 15 gallon sprayer with 15' boom.

In general I only spray the targeted culprit and not whole areas.