1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Donation Requests - Support Sumi's Health Recovery Fund - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Best Way to Enjoy Homegrown Celery?

Discussion in 'The Harvest: Recipes, Canning, Preserving' started by DrakeMaiden, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Aug 6, 2009
    DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Deeply Rooted

OK, I've got celery and no ideas on how best to enjoy it, besides the painfully obvious ones (like raw with ranch dressing). What would you make?

2. Aug 6, 2009
    Greensage45

Greensage45 Deeply Rooted

I am constantly using celery. If I do soups, like lentil, or if I make tuna salad, chicken salad, I add it to meatballs. I put it with all my italian dishes. I also stuff them. Filling them with cream cheese mixed with walnuts or pecans. Ummmm. Or, fill them with cream cheese mixed with green olives. Yummy!

My guess is you are growing it. How fun. I have to wait until it gets cooler otherwise the celery bolts into bloom causing the entire batch into turning bitter.

Oh,....Celery, Tomato Juice, Lime, and Tobasco Sauce...perhaps a dash of pepper too.

We won't blame anyone that is enjoying a few Bloody Mary's on a lazy afternoon.

Ron

3. Aug 6, 2009
    DrakeMaiden

LOL Ron. :D

I think your suggestion for cream cheese and walnuts, etc. sounds particularly good to me.

Yes, I've got the open-pollinated celery with the red stalks (I can't remember what it is called right now). I have it growing on my deck so it doesn't get too much sun and I can keep it well watered. If I had it in the garden it would not have lasted this long in all the heat we just had (high last week of 102 F)!

4. Aug 6, 2009
    HiDelight

HiDelight Deeply Rooted

oh man I love celery Celery Au Gratin just make one up ..butter sliced celery a little sweet onion ..some crumbs and lots of cheese

bake until bubbly brown!

congratulations on the celery glut!

also you can do a cream of celery soup
    hot or cold

or make a celery favored stock out of veggies or chicken then freeze it to add to casseroles later this year

I love to put celery broth in creamy green chile and cheese enchiladas

enjoy!!!

5. Aug 6, 2009
    DrakeMaiden

:drool OMG that sounds really good!

I like your idea of cold celery soup. I guess the thought crossed my mind last week when it was hot, but I didn't remember thinking that until you mentioned it. :)

Celery Au Gratin I will have to try! I still have some walla wallas that I grew, so I could combine the two for some garden au gratin synergy. :)

6. Aug 6, 2009
    patandchickens

patandchickens Deeply Rooted

If it's really good, like really REALLY REALLY good, just eating it out of hand is the best, IMO. One of the main reasons I miss being close enough to visit my aunt in Lititz PA is that somewhere around there is a small grower of the best celery in the ENTIRE UNIVERSE, if you ever tasted it you'd know I am not exaggerating in the slightest, which is so good that it is just wrong to do anything except EAT it :p

Otherwise, there's not a lot you *can't* put celery in. Salads of any type whatsoever; soups; omelettes; stews; casseroles; cold wraps; cook it au gratin, alone or with something with compatable cooking time; freeze it for wintertime soups and stews (it won't be crisp after thawing but it won't be crisp once it's in a soup or stew *anyhow*).

Have fun, enjoy,

Pat, who really doesn't like raw celery at all except the aforementioned stuff from Lancaster County, but was raised with celery being omnipresent in most cooked dishes, also salads

7. Aug 6, 2009
    DrakeMaiden

Thanks Pat! I didn't realize I could freeze some . . . that is good to know.

Yes, I guess I was looking for recipes that would revolve around the celery and not so much foods you could always add celery to. ;) Or possibly a raw use . . . not sure my celery tastes as good as what you once had though! :lol:

8. Aug 6, 2009
    kathyschix

kathyschix Chillin' In The Garden

Aw Pat, I used to live in Lancaster County before we moved to our current place! I know that celery place you speak of...although I'm blanking on the name at the moment. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I love me some celery with peanut butter!

Regards,

Kathy

9. Aug 6, 2009
    vfem

vfem Garden Addicted

Like this wasn't going to be said....but.... Bloody marys!!! ;)

10. Aug 7, 2009
    big brown horse

big brown horse Garden Ornament

O.K. you read my mind!!! :drool I'm going to post a fabulous recipe I got recently for a bloody mary made with fresh tomatoes.

I know this is simple, but I love my raw celery dipped in peanut butter! Crunchy only. Add a few raisins and youv'e got yourself a yummy "ant canoe"! :gig