Birds eating and pecking all of my Plums on the tree

PlantDiva

Sprout
Reaction score
Each year the tree produces very sweet, perfect plums, and the birds attack the tree before we can harvest them. I keep asking them if we can have an agreement where they leave half for my family LOL!

Any suggestions? I am an animal/bird lover so I don't want to do anything to hurt the birds.:hit

Thx!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The netting is likely to be the best but this worked so well for me that I thought I'd mention it. It might do well in @flowerbug 's strawberry patch to keep the chipmunks out, also. However, I didn't use it in a tree and that location might be a problem.

Go to a toy store and buy a toy cat. Probably, a toy dog would work as well ;). Birds have bird brains. Also, they are preyed on and have reason to be fearful.

Here's something that is somewhat bothersome. I thought that it was important to move the cat often, a couple times each day. Keep it partially hidden but partially visible. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i used to have some fine plastic mesh netting for the grape vine to keep the raccoonians from getting the whole crop, but once i got rid of the grape vine i only used the netting once for the strawberries and it didn't seem to make much difference. the chipmunks seemed to find ways in anyways. Mom turned it into scrubbies (knitting)...

my plan up to now has been to grow enough strawberries that there's enough for everyone (including the wild critters). it's worked out ok some years and other years not... more fence goes up this year to help, but may not solve problem until i can completely enclose most of the yard/gardens. we'll see... :)

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with bird netting, even if trees are larger it works. In high school I would help aunt and uncle cover large cherry trees with it using ladders and wooden poles. If only for a few days maybe the cat will get you by or try using the reflective streamers tied to the end of limbs. The netting will work for sure though.

PlantDiva

Sprout
Reaction score
WOW! You all are awesome! I never thought of a net. The tree is not that larger but it produces a lot of fruit. I will check out the netting. Perhaps it is sold at the Boc Stores in the nursery, but I will check on line.
THANKS everyone!:thumbsup

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
and if the garden center doesn't have it you can sometimes find mesh in the fabric section that you can quick stitch together.

Latest posts