Bitter Broccoli !! WHY ??

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have grown broccoli for years and this is the first time it is bitter. I picked heads, did not wash, bagged it, and put in the fridge (as I have done many times) until ready to cook. Usually within a few days.

It is so bitter that I have had to throw it away. Even the chickens won't eat it. Can you shed some light on why it is so bitter this year. I have not experienced this before.

The only difference is that this year I bought starts, same variety as I usually seed, and did not grow my own.

Thanks. I am so disappointed as this is my favorite veg ever.

Anne

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DDRanch said:
I have grown broccoli for years and this is the first time it is bitter. I picked heads, did not wash, bagged it, and put in the fridge (as I have done many times) until ready to cook. Usually within a few days.

It is so bitter that I have had to throw it away. Even the chickens won't eat it. Can you shed some light on why it is so bitter this year. I have not experienced this before.

The only difference is that this year I bought starts, same variety as I usually seed, and did not grow my own.

Thanks. I am so disappointed as this is my favorite veg ever.

Anne
you should try putting the broccoli in a cool place like the fridge for a few hours. The coolness should remove some of the bitterness, its worked for me with bitter arugula i had.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is very strange- my only suggestion is to try and cook it right after you pick it- just in case the sitting is doing something to it...Mine is just about ready to harvest-now you have me worrying! Hopefully, you will be able to enjoy some of it...What about picking it a little younger? Good luck!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Did it get really hot where you are? I had that problem with my cauliflower & some of my broccoli last year. I think it was getting ready to bolt because the weather turned hot all of the sudden (as it always does around here in the spring).

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you possibly store it next to something that would cause it to absorb some bad flavor? Did you use some type of pepper spray to ward of insects? Other than maybe the heat, that's all I can think of.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My guess is that it was let to go dry for a while, possibly even when it was transplants at the store that you bought it from, or when you transplanted it if its root system was insufficiently happy (or if you didn't water it thoroughly before putting in the ground), or if you had a hot snap of weather.

I do not know about broccoli specifically but I know that lots of other veggies will get bitter if allowed to dry out -- lettuce, some cabbages, spinach, etc.

Good luck,

Pat

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've noticed this happen in heat, but perhaps it was the heat causing the dryness that did it. That really stinks--it's a bummer to lose your favorite crop! Maybe the side shoots (if cooler and well watered?) will be a nice substitute?

Latest posts