Black Bamboo

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I want some. I am trying to avoid buying any bamboo cause of the whole invasiveness but I want some! I think it is just gorgeous but I guess I should not. Anybody got any bamboo that they like?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Obsessed... I have the clumping kind that I just love. It gives me privacy from the neighbors, has a soft lacy look, and is in the chicken run where the chickens don't eat it. They do dig holes around it and once a week I rake the dirt back in because I sometimes see some roots exposed.

The place where my husband works was getting rid of some black bamboo and my husband brought it home. I shared some with my daughter and her's is starting to grow shoots. Mine is not doing well but it is behind trees and does not get much light. This was the only place that I had for it.

My clumping bamboo is surrounded by a bamboo barrier that is basically a plastic roll that is about 24 inches tall. We buried this to prevent the bamboo from getting out of control. This was just a safety precaution but is not really needed. We've never had a problem with it getting out of control in the 8 years we've had it. I have since divided it several times and do not bother with the barrior. The barrior is NEEDED for the runner type.

Mary

sequin

Sprout
Reaction score
I have seen it planted in large livestock water tanks before, and it actually looks really nice. So, that might be an option for keeping bamboo without it spreading all over the place.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used to have black bamboo and loved it but then came the world wide die off and I lost it.
That's a weird fact about many bamboos. They are all divisions from the original plant so no matter what part of the world it is in it is all part of the parent plant. Bamboo goes through a years long cycle and when it produces seed it dies off. Every bamboo clump of that type in the world no matter where it is will die at the same time as the parent plant. I think the PSI folks at Duke university should look into that psychic bond.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was talking to my in-laws about using it as a screen near their pool. I was thinking it was a great idea-but then I was wondering does it drop a lot of leaves, during the swimming season? I hate to recommend something that will be a cleaning issue for them...

Latest posts