Black Vernissage tomatoe

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I haven't grown this one myself Mary but the reviews I've read on it aren't that great. Indigo Rose is another that hasn't had great review but although not the best in flavor I love the color especially halved in a Greek Salad. This year I'm growing Black Opal supposed to be an improvement over Black Cherry with a good texture and a tangy sweet flavor.

Annette

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Annette, I saw those reviews. I got them free from Baker Creek. If nobody wants them. I'm going to toss them.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got a free pack from BC also. I'll trial them and see how they do here.
I've never grown any of the dark cherry tomatoes so I can only compare them to themselves. :p

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's hard to toss out seeds, even if it's not something you think you want. I received some free tomato seeds a few years ago, an heirloom that I had never heard of. Decided to give one or two seeds a try this year. They are Vinson Watts. Guess maybe I need to look them up.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have started some from the free Baker Creek seeds this year. I tried free Red Romaine lettuce seeds and got hooked on it and order it all the time. I have tried their free German Lunchbox tomatoes and hated them. It will be interesting to see how they turn out.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
'Chocolate Cherry' is a really great one you should try and has become a staple in both mine and my mom's gardens. I can send you some if you want.

Maybe you could seed bomb the other ones for the wildlife to enjoy.:p

@so lucky , 'Vinson Watts' is a highly esteemed heirloom. I'd like to hear how it does for you later.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I looked it up, too. It says it is a low producer, though. I think that can be said for several of those large heirlooms. I'll let you know how it does.... If I can remember.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, the taste test has been done on Black Vernissage Tomato and :sick :sick. Very pretty and a lot of them, but DS and me just gagged. I put them in with other tomatoes for tomato sauce and not sure that will work either. DD has not tried them yet or DH. I did not want to do that to DH lol.

Latest posts