Blacking Out

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night I had to pick up a vent for clothes dryer. I walked in home depot, the very first thing I see is big sign 50% all spring bulbs. The next thing I remember was standing in line at check out with a shopping cart filled with bulbs. Not sure how many hundreds of bulbs I bought, I am not even sure how many different kinds I bought. I had a plan to heavly plant my woods with daffodils, so I have few hundred of them. And of course I had to buy out all the paper whites,because I love how my office smells with them. The tulips is where I kind of crossed the line, I have tried to grow them in pass. The deer eat them long before blooming. I have a very short time left to plant them before ground freezes. As I was loading my car I realized I never got the dryer vent and had t go back in store for it.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, you really did black out, didn't you? Good luck on those tulips. I don't have any suggestions for you on keeping the deer out. That is not a problem I have here.
But I am scheduled to take a couple kids to Lowes Build & Grow workshop tomorrow, I think, so I will be exposed to their sales. If they have bulbs at half price, I may have a black out myself.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought we would be advising you on drinking plenty of fluids and getting good cardio exercises into your week, NyBoy!

Remembering why you stopped at the store before you leave the parking lot ain't bad!

The scent of those paperwhites is evocative, ain't it. Will you be forcing them this winter? Got your whip and chair?

Steve
who stopped by the hardware store the other day but couldn't remember how someone cobbled together the pipes under the kitchen sink well enuf to buy replacement valves! They don't build 'em like they used to. Thank Heavens! (ala @Smart Red )

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just got into forcing bulbs last winter. Since I am highly unlikely to ever get around to planting any bulbs I buy, I don't feel too bad tossing them out after they are done. :p

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know you want the the tulips for your wooded areas, but you can plant them in containers and keep them closer to the house. I have protected customers tulips with deer spray so they actually got to enjoy the blooms, but you have to be very diligent, when they form buds you have to spray weekly.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought you were going to describe a serious medical condition---AND YOU DID!!! :lol: The immediate cure was many, many bulbs that will soothe your senses throughout the winter. Glad you are Ok now!

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh,nice, I'd love a cart full of bulbs! We had some bulbs on the south side of our house, but when we had a basement put it, they all had to go. DH did try to save some by relocating them to a holding bed with his tractor. Some didn't make it, and we haven't got around to relocating the others.
This will be the first year I try forcing a few bulbs. When we moved our hoop coop to it's final resting place, the edge sat right on top of some daffodils. I figured I'd replace them later. This fall, I was burying some hardware cloth along the coop for rat-proofing and discovered the bulbs. They are now in a little pot in the basement.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I actually think Paperwhites STINK! :hide Very pretty though.
Good score on all the 1/2 price bulbs. Menards also had them 1/2 off and I was able to control the urge as I have no place to plant them right now!

Latest posts