Bleeding Heart-- Thirsty or Dieback?

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted my first bleeding heart in the shade in late March. It did well and bloomed while I was on a trip. When I got home in mid-May it looked fine, but today I discovered it with both crispy, dried up leaves and some non-dried up yellowing leaves. I assumed it needed water, as nearby pansies in deep shade looked totally dead and perked up when watered. Then I researched and saw that bleeding hearts often die back. We've already had some days in the 90s here, which is unusual for this early in the year, about 20 degrees above normal, with a whole week of them ahead of us... I live in Salt Lake City, Zone 7ish, in Utah. So I'm trying to figure out whether it just needed water or is dying back? It does appear the heavy watering I gave it (I hope I didn't OVERwater it), has perked up some, but not all, of the leaves. If it dies back and goes dormant, which I suspect it will in the week ahead with super high temps in the 90s, how much should I water the dormant plant during the summer? I have read that the dieback in this plant is actually moisture stress, and if one maintains adequate, consistent moisture, they don't die back at all, although I find that unlikely. I do manage to keep sweet peas going all summer here, with constant watering, but pansies nearly always die back here by early July, even with constant watering. Could I rot my bleeding heart by watering it in the summer when it has gone dormant? All tips appreciated.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you. I'll see whether it looks better in the morning, after the cool evening. I have seen bleeding hearts growing here, and the garden worker seemed to think they would do well.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Because you mentioned 'crispy' dried leaves along with the general drooping, I'm gonna suggest it was lack of water. The plants will die back later in the season and Cat mentions, but mine die back and get mushy not crispy later in the summer.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, Smart Red, you are right. I watered heavily, and it is looking so much better!

Latest posts