Bloomerang Lilac Zone 8?

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210616-145111.png

So gardening websites are saying some lilacs now can go to zone 9 where they used to be a 7. I ordered 2 of these bloomerangs on the advice, but the seller has it listed as a 7. I do not think it will mature for at least 2 years. 3 springs seems a long time to wait and find out I screwed up again. Any advice?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The dark green foliage of lilacs make them an attractive bush even without the blooms.

For 9 years, we lived in a home with a lilac against a fence on the property line. It overhung the driveway right outside the garage door. This lilac was old and had been pruned so as not to interfere with a car entering the garage.

With a single trunk, it looked like a graceful little tree. Bonsai-like but about 10' tall. Few blooms but a charming addition to the yard.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we've been frosted out two years in a row. it's not "reblooming". they need enough light so the site is important. plus if you want to regenerate it once in a while you need enough space for that to happen.

since i am so reactive to the smell/sap of them i have to treat it like poison ivy along with making sure i'm not in the wind stream. we did plant it in the right location for that as it is to the NE from where i am at most of the time.

sorry, not much help, i like them better than honeysuckles, but i really wish it was a sour cherry instead.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well -hard to believe I know, but I just put them in the ground. During the summer they will get part sun. In the winter much more. I think I looked at them for a month in the dappled setting sun, late sun. They doubled their leaves in the pot so I had to make the choices.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well -hard to believe I know, but I just put them in the ground. During the summer they will get part sun. In the winter much more. I think I looked at them for a month in the dappled setting sun, late sun. They doubled their leaves in the pot so I had to make the choices.

you can also selectively prune the trees around it to give it more light. our lilac tree back in the NE corner was getting overgrown by the honey suckles so i trimmed those back and it has been doing better since then. it's probably doubled in size. i also let some of the new shoots grow as that way the whole bush can be regenerated through time. when the new shoots get bigger i'll trim back some of the older main stems.

sadly, the frosts have gotten all the blooms for the past two seasons. try again next year! :)

Latest posts