Blooming orchids!

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love orchids! I have a bunch of them growing on my windowsill. My daughter told me that if one of the stems needs to be cut or breaks off, you can put cinnamon on the "wound" and that is supposed to help!

Attachments

• IMG_20201218_175350441_640x480.jpg
    IMG_20201218_175350441_640x480.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 165

Niele da Kine

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hawaii Island aka the 'Big Island' Zone 11b
Those are pretty.

"Moth Orchid" is a lot easier to spell and pronounce than phalaenopsis, although a lot of folks around here call them "Butterfly Orchids" which seems nicer than "Moth", IMHO. There's a purple and white splotchy one of that type growing on the lanai here, although it's not blooming at the moment. Does yours bloom very often?

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
She waters her orchids with a spray bottle. I used to water them by putting a small ice cube in the pot, but the spray bottle works better. Also, when they get a wound you put cinnamon on it and that helps with healing.

Niele da Kine

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hawaii Island aka the 'Big Island' Zone 11b
Good job on the multiple bloomings! Do you put special fertilizer or lights on them? Any particular watering systems?

If there were a Society For The Prevention Of Orchid Abuse, I'm sure they'd be calling on me. Ours just get stuck outside and ignored until they bloom. Maybe they'd like a little bunny manure tossed on them? I should treat them better. There's one which seems absurdly happy growing in a plastic planter on a table in the middle off the yard and I think it should have died a long time ago. They're amazingly durable.

Latest posts