Bluebonnets!

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our wildflower meadow is peaking with Bluebonnets right now! The orange ball shaped flowers are Fragrant Gaillardia. They have no ray flowers (petals) and have the most beautiful fragrance. There are also bright magenta Wild Garlic and tall yellow Englemann's Daisies and White Rock Lettuce blooming in this field.

upload_2015-4-11_20-14-12.jpeg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bluebonnets are lupines, right? I have tried growing them from seed here. Never got anything. They sure are pretty.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@so lucky Yes, Bluebonnets are lupines. They have a very tough seedcoat which takes several years to break down, so you may see yours one day. Here's the trick I use: Put the seeds into your freezer for a day. The next day place them in a collander and pour boiling water over them. Plant them in the fall and make sure they have adequate winter watering since they are winter annuals. They will definitely sprout!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lupines are pretty and beautiful but some types are poisonous to many animals ... causes illness, abortions, birth deformities and especially deadly to sheep often from as little as an hour to 20 hours after ingestion. I and neighbors who raise livestock for a living kill, maim and destroy them on first sight in the pastures . Be careful what you wish for ! :old

Latest posts