Bonnie Best Tomato

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Has anyone ever grown the famous Bonnie Best Tomato?

This will be my first year with this variety and I' curious if there is anything I should know about. lol

http://www.rareseeds.com/bonny-best-tomato/

Bonny-Best-Tomato-web.jpg

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Should be great if they all look like that tomato. I know nothing about them, but it looks like a canning tomato -- probably determinate. My fave canning tomato is Rutgers, but that BBT looks good too -- nice coloring, no green shoulders. It should give you relatively uniform fruits that ripen close together. If you wanted an extended canning season, start more plants at 4-5 week intervals. Otherwise, you may find yourself flush with fruits to can and then very few fruits after that rush.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know that @marshallsmyth has grown Bonny Best.

It may have been a number of years ago. Marshall has turned his garden over to beans and raspberries maybe even more enthusiastically than when he was enjoying all those tomato varieties.

He has an off-the-grid home (and internet connection) on a California mountain lake but has been visiting TEG on just about a daily basis lately, I've noticed.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are a really good regular red tomato.

Seems I remember them a darker red than that, but I picked them a bit more ripe usually, except the end of season last pick.

They were the major market tomato up to something like 1920 in this country. I think it was Marglobe that replaced them, Bonny Best has a bit stronger flavor.

I grew them like not very big indeterminates. Give them cages. They do more or less continuous production,, at least they did for me when I lived in Montana.