Bonzai and Bonsai!

WIkalanchoe

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I just got my first shipment of seeds in the mail for spring! YAY! One is going to be no challenge at all. Hops, I'm hoping to start amateur beer making next fall/winter.
Dwarf coffee plants, which will have to remain indoors and hopefully produce coffee if they like me.
Lastly Japanese pagoda tree and Dwarf Pomegranate. I'm told that both are good choices for bonsai trees. I've always wanted to do bonsai and am going to set a couple of these aside to give it a try.
Anyone else do bonsai? Maybe just starting out like me?

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do a little bonsai. I've got a 2 year old grapefruit right now and have done some junipers in the past. I did a lemon tree a few years ago. I tend to give them away after a few years and start with something else. I am really just a beginner. I'll see if i can post some pics a little later...that ought to be an adventure.

Not a great photo, but it does give an idea of how the trunk has been shaped just a bit. This is a view from what is probably going to be the back of the tree. I wasn't happy with how the tree extended itself horizontally but plan to chop the trunk at about that point anyway in another 18 months or so, maybe a bit longer.

Edited for scoring purposes- 10 points for patience.

WIkalanchoe

Leafing Out
Reaction score
See I think that's a very good looking tree right there! I've been reading every book I can get from the library on bonsai to prepare myself. The more I read, the more excited I get.