book recc. for those in zones 3-4 (esp. the Northeast)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cold-Climate Gardening by Lewis Hill (1987, Storey Communications), ISBN 0-88266-441-7 . I have no idea whether there's a newer edition and am too lazy to check :p

Picked this up for twenty-five cents at a reuse/recycle store a couple weeks ago. GOOD BOOK. The author is writing from northern VT, but most of it applies to lots of us elsewhere in colder regions. Lots of very specific recommendations (both for and against) various techniques, strategies, and specific plants.

Most of the books I buy from the reuse/recycle place end up donated to our library book sale but this one is a keeper for sure :)

Pat

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So THAT'S why I can never find anything good at my library sales! :D Thanks for the recommendation from those of us still coping with snow and ice, a month away from even starting stuff INdoors.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Elliot Colman has a couple of books about winter gardening...He has a produce farm in Bar Harbor area of Maine and he sells all year long to restruarnts... Check out your library to see if you are interested...Johnny's Select seed in Maine sells the books...

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I will have to look and see if I can find a copy somewhere. :/ Sounds like it would come in handly

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Have you seen the book Month to Month Gardening In Pa. ? It has great info in it!
I got mine on Ebay