Books for the Grandkids

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There is not a lot to do in my garden right now. I have prepped the soil and am just waiting for the frosts to finish!
In the meantime, aside from gardening I am spending some time with my only (so far) grandchild. I am reading some really cute, colorful, and happy story books to my granddaughter and her little friend today. These books were recommended to me by a friend. The author is Ellie Merriweather. The books I have read are "King Henry," (about a funny cat), "Where are the Mulberries," and "The Montana Whale Dolphin." I hope Ellie M writes more! These are so cute! My friend saw them on Amazon and somewhere else, but I can't remember.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
for me there were books from Dr. Seuss that gave me such an appreciation of both whimsy and the music of the language. :)

Ralph and the Motorcycle, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMB, just a few of many hundreds. :) i think these are books for older children, but i enjoyed the stories.

i think encouraging reading of stories themselves and stories without pictures too which help them be imaginative in their own minds instead of having to rely upon others to do. gives them something apart from "on-line" entertainments and visual stuff all the time.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We also enjoyed Frog and Toad and some of the Little Golden Books. I agree that it is also nice to read books to your children/ grandchildren where there are no pictures, but they use their own creative imaginations to see the story in their own eyes.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My daughter is currently madly in love with the "Little Pookie" books. I'm not sure how old your granddaughter is, these are board books meant for the younger set, but boy does she love them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score

Katherine Pryor has written several children's books besides Sylvia's Spinach.

I don't know about any of these or the others at Readers to Eaters - no grandkids. The Readers to Eaters guy used to be at farmers' markets and may still be attending those. Both he and Ms Pryor are in your part of the world, Dahlia.

Steve