Borage and Fennel?

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The borage and fennel plants in my garden still look good, but temps down to 30 F are predicted soon. Any chance they'd survive if I potted them up and put them in a cool room for the winter?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Borage is so easy to start from seeds planted in the soil that I wouldn't bother trying to overwinter it. Don't know about fennel.

Mary

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My borage seeds aren't ripe yet. Maybe I should dig it up in order to let them ripen on the plant, so I won't have to buy seeds in the spring?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
If your flowers on the borage are done and the seeds started, you should be able to dig, roots and all, and hang upside down in a sheltered place where the seeds should continue to develop. I think (never grew or used it) that fennel is more like a carrot and may be a biennial. Someone will know.

dandelionchick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I know borage is a hardy annual but I don't know how hardy. How cold is too cold. Borage does not transplant well at all. What I would do if it gets real cold, you can is put a plastic tote over it at night and throw a blanket over it. Mine are doing great in the coldframe but they have always been in pots but I've protected them in the ground during spring cold snaps this way. They did great.
Hope this helps :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I never found much use for borage in cooking and the leaves are too prickly for salad but I let it grow anywhere it doesn't interfere with other plants because my local bees seem to like it.

Latest posts