Bread machine users?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love home baked bread but I kind of got away from baking it, mostly because getting the dough to rise is so uncertain. I ran into a like new bread machine at the local thrift for $9 so I figured,"What the hey". That's one of the best thrift store buys I ever made.
The first thing I tried was a boxed bread machine mix baked right in the bread machine. Eh - just so so and the shape of the bread didn't fit my toaster. Then I googled the missing instruction manual and when I came to the part about just using it to make the dough a light dawned. Now I make the same bread from scratch that I used to but it rises perfectly every time and without all that hand kneading. I still prefer baking in the oven but the machine is great for getting the dough ready to go.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
I love home baked bread but I kind of got away from baking it, mostly because getting the dough to rise is so uncertain. I ran into a like new bread machine at the local thrift for $9 so I figured,"What the hey". That's one of the best thrift store buys I ever made.
The first thing I tried was a boxed bread machine mix baked right in the bread machine. Eh - just so so and the shape of the bread didn't fit my toaster. Then I googled the missing instruction manual and when I came to the part about just using it to make the dough a light dawned. Now I make the same bread from scratch that I used to but it rises perfectly every time and without all that hand kneading. I still prefer baking in the oven but the machine is great for getting the dough ready to go.
Sound like my neighbor! She found one at the thrift shop for like $10 and she's been hooked ever since! In fact, she does a lot of breakfast breads in it, and swaps with me on occasion for peppers or a loaf of my italian bread :) Her's doesn't get as crusty with the long stick thing she likes it shaped like for pasta night! LOL

That is awesome you found one... if I find one, I'm grabbing it up...

Better yet! *light bulb* My dad bought one for my mom like 8 years ago, and its still in the box in her shed..... I'm going to steal it next time I'm over. Would probably make my dad happy someone is using it. :D *huge happy face*

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good idea. She'll probably never notice it's gone. Thrifts around here always have them but you take your chances that it will work and most run $15 to $20. No returns. That's still a bargain when you consider that good ones cost $100 and up new. You can get cheapies new for $40 but they're junk that burn out in no time. The thing that usually gives out is the motor that mixes and kneads.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mom bought each of us kids one years ago, and I used it diligently, but was never really pleased with the way the crust turned out, always seemed soggy. So I just started using it for making the dough and then baking it in my oven and that was a lot better, but it still only made one loaf. I haven't used it for quite awhile because the kneading is what I enjoy the most about bread baking, and I like to make several loaves and freeze them. But the machine really does a fine job of kneading the dough so if I only wanted one loaf, and had to multi task to save time, that's the way I'd go.
Great score on the price hoody!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine has settings for light, medium or dark crust. When you set it on dark you get a very thick crunchy kind of crust. Medium gives you an ordinary crust. I haven't tried light yet.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I make all our bread. I use the bread machine on the dough setting and bake the bread in the oven. It comes out perfect every time! I also use the dough setting to make pizza crust. Use one the day I make it, and freeze the other. I think you will continue to enjoy yours hoodat. Once you get used to that homemade bread- it is hard to go back to the store bought stuff...Have fun!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just got one for Christmas from my Mom. I love it! I quit buying bread at the store (freakish how it can last for a month and not mold, isn't it! :hide ). It's more cost effective to buy the bread flour bulk or on sale (compared to the cost of individual loaves store-bought) and I can make so many different kinds. So far we like the "summer wheat" bread the best for everyday. It has molasses in it, which I love, then I also add in ground flax. It's also useful just for the kneading and rising function, if you want to make dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls, pizza dough, etc. I think every so often if I want a more rustic bread, I may use it to mix, then transfer the dough to my pizza stone and cook it in the oven.

My aunt has a gluten allergy and I was just reading about that last night. Never realized how serious that was. How hard it must be to live without bread!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm actually baking a Baguette as we speak, anyone want some? :drool But yes I agree nothing like fresh homemade bread. I try to bake bread at least once every week. I make all my bread by hand, I don't seem to mind to knead the dough, it helps to relieve some of that tension during the day :gig.

journey11 said:
My aunt has a gluten allergy and I was just reading about that last night. Never realized how serious that was. How hard it must be to live without bread!
journey,

There are places that sell gluten-free bread. Just because someone can't have gluten doesn't mean they can't have bread. I know Wholefoods has gluten-free breads as I work there.

Hope this helps!! ;)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, she said she can have rice flour and potato flour and some other grain types. Doesn't seem to rise like wheat flour though?

Latest posts