Bread Makers

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a question for experienced bread makers. I got an awesome deal on some yeast. It is Redstar Original Active Dry Yeast. It expires Jul 2010 and I ask the manager if he was going to discount it because it was getting ready to expire and it was sitting next to the May 2011 boxes and he did. So I got what I thought was going to be 12-15 packs of yeast was actually 43 packs for $0.50 a pack. Anyway, can you freeze it or do you have to make bread dough (or whatever) and then freeze it? I have frozen bread dough before so I know it is fine in that form, but can I stick some of it into a freezer bag and just freeze the unopened packs?

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You can freeze the yeast by itself.

I buy yeast in 1 lb vac sealed packages at Sam's Club. It's $5 or so for TWO 1 lb'ers. So, quite cheap comapred to buying little packets. The vac sealed packages are like bricks...LOL. Once I open a package, I keep a jar in the refrigerator for regular use, then freeze the remainder of the package and get it out on a 'as needed' basis.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Kim_NC said:
I have a bunch of favorite bread recipes posted here. Some of them have bread machine instructions, but can be mixed and kneaded by hand (or use dough cycle on machine), then rise, bake in conventional oven at 350* for about 25 min.:

http://millriverfarm.com/recipes.cfm?catname=Bread,%20Rolls,%20and%20Muffins
Thanks. I didn't realize that you could buy yeast in bulk like that. I might have to check out Sam's Club. I had a membership years ago when we lived in GA. But when we moved back here over 10 years ago their wasn't one that close. But they have build one now about 45 minutes away.

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think they offer a one day guest pass for Sam's Clubs. We buy a lot of business supplies there, so we always maintain a membership.

If you use their store locator from this page, you could get a phone #, call and ask them about a guest pass. (I din't look very long, but couldn't find info about it on their site.)

http://www3.samsclub.com/clublocator/

Latest posts