Breaking new ground

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well I am in Georgia and trying to get the garden in slowly. I decided that the easiest thing would be to plant some veggies in existing beds that were dedicated to flowers. They are a mess because nothing has been planted there for 2-3 years but still have a lot of potential. So I started on the first one and was planning to plant pickling cucumbers in it. Got my trusty garden tool and began removing the grass from the bed.... Holy cow is that a snake????? YES it was!!! OK I am a big girl and it was a little snake and it was a afraid of me as I am it. Wrong!!!! It wasn't that afraid of me because as I kept clearing thinking it was gone it wasn't and I stirred it up 2 more times.

OK abandon the bed for a couple of days then after not finding the snake on several recon missions I started clearing it again today. As I am taking some grass to the compost pile I got stung or bitten by something pretty sure it was a bee sting but didn't see the bee. OK, go into the house and put a cool rag on my swelling leg for a while and decided I am going to get this done! Go back out and still clearing and my dog comes out for moral support, anyway she is standing in the bed and I am loosening the soil with my garden fork and then she jumps and I see that I have stirred a nest of wasp. Holy cow again!.

OK get some bug spray which I hate to use in a veggie bed but the nest is localized to under the rock for the border so it isn't too bad. Take out the nest, but leave it for the day so that I don't meet up with any wasp trying to figure out where their nest is. Finally finish up tonight remove most of the grass and loosened the soil. I have one more area to work on but cleared enough to put in 8 cucumber hills.

I had to remove about 2 dozen snails from the bed so I hope they don't find there way back and I saw two small holes which I am pretty sure belong to the snake, I am hoping now that his hole is exposed and there is no grass in the bed he will want to relocate.

Have also cleared a small bed for my sage which is looking great and transplanted very nicely. Also planted one of my oregano plants, will put the other one in the front. My chives also need a home and I am not sure where they are going yet. I planted a rosemary plant which I bought here and hope it does well. The only plant that I brought the is looking terrible it my thyme. That one I thought would be fine... go figure.

I must be getting old because this is a lot harder then I remember. Hopefully this time next year my beds will be full of veggies and I won't be complaining.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The hazards of gardening! I am kinda wondering about those snails.... is there a PETS group out there you belong to? (That's People for the Ethical Treatment of Snails :p ) I know that whenever I remove snails they need a squeegee to get moving again.

I think those little garden snakes eat snails, so you might want to look the other way if he sticks around. :)

All your hard work and pain will pay off 'Dorie, you'll have a beautiful garden to eat from now. :thumbsup

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, 'Dorie :frow!

Starting new gardens has been tough but I wouldn't know how to go about doing it in the semi-tropics ;). We pretend that the northern Europeans & North Americans didn't use slash & burn agriculture but aren't there supposed to be machetes involved where you are???

:tools Stay with It!

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are very brave with the snakes! I remember every place that I have ever seen a snake on my property. I do not scream as loud as I used to when I see them-progress.

Fred

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Maybe you should've called the SWAT team to clear the area first. :/

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
I know that whenever I remove snails they need a squeegee to get moving again.
:yuckyuck :lol: :gig

Hang in there HunkieDorie! I remember when I first cleared my garden plot years ago. It was 4' tall weeds, thick with thorny locust and polluted with Multiflora Rose. I don't know how much blood I lost clearing out that mess.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dorie you tell a great story!!!
Keep at it. This is my first year gardening and I was shocked to discover that gardening is an adventure! Who knew!?!? :lol:

Latest posts