Bribing Adult Child

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is a 1st very good client wants to reserve a puppy for her 28 year old daughter. But only if her daughter losses weight. Daughter wants puppy bad but can not afford to buy one. Mother has had a lot of work done I think her plastic surgeon on speed dial. Not sure how I feel. Is it ok to bribe some one?

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mama is trying to manipulate her adult daughter. If I were you, I would decline that whole thing.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
From your end of it, it is a business deal. She wants to reserve a puppy. Will she put down a deposit she loses if she does not take the pup? What will happen to the pup if she does not take it?

From a morals point of view, will the pup get a good home if she does take it? Will the pup get a good home if she does not take it?

I think you're getting involved in the private workings of a family's private business. I don't know how that family's dynamic work but I'd try to stay out of it and think if it as a business deal and the pup's welfare.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Puppy would have great home. This is a long time client. she bought a puppy from me 12 years ago. She knows if too much for her daughter she would end up with puppy.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
both adults, stay out of it, pretend you don't know reason and consider it only on the basis if you think it would be a good home for puppy. IMO of course...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it sounds like a mom who is concerned about her daughter and is willing to hold a carrot out to help get some traction for her daughters weight loss.

Whatever the reason, I agree with Ridge. It's a business decision for you and if you are satisfied that the pup will be well cared for, then the family dynamics are not the issue.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
In any and all business transactions, when the exchange takes place , in this case money for pup, what happens to either is non of the others' business as neither is no longer the others' property. This is not the case in many rescue transactions where they make you sign a contract of how the pup is treated / cared for or they show up to take it back. :idunno

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
OUCH, when I was at top weight and for many years on my way up the scale. My Mother would try to bribe, plead etc... It only made it worse! The puppy most likely will not be what it takes for daughter to lose the weight. She has to WANT to and gather some positive feelings on her own. (I know!) It is a business transaction for you. But NOT the catalyst her Mom hopes for. :(

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
OUCH, when I was at top weight and for many years on my way up the scale. My Mother would try to bribe, plead etc... It only made it worse! The puppy most likely will not be what it takes for daughter to lose the weight. She has to WANT to and gather some positive feelings on her own. (I know!) It is a business transaction for you. But NOT the catalyst her Mom hopes for. :(

I believe you're right about that Carol Dee.
Any lasting life change has to be motivated by our own convictions.
But a puppy would be a fun incentive!

Latest posts