Brugs, Berries and Trees

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Evening everyone,
I just joined, and am in love with brugs. Currently growing sanguinea, frosty pink, pink masterpiece, emerald frost, mango crush, adeline, and some NOIDS. I've got flower buds forming on all but three, and one of the NOIDS will be opening tomorrow. I can't wait to see it in a few days when she reaches full color.
I also love passiflora, and have many cultivars of them as well.
Have a screened in veggie/fruit garden (we have major bug issues down here, only way they'd make it) as well as many berry types. I'm just moving into fruit trees, and should have them completed by next spring.
Do have lemons, Mamey, Cherry, Banana, and Loquat.
Have cherry tomatoes coming like crazy, so many giving to neighbors....maybe I should go ahead and paste them, even though wrong cultivar for that, lol.
I'm going to go and read/look at some topics and posts, just wanted to check in and let 'cha know I'm here! What I've already read seems to be a great group of gardeners! Chaio :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Your plants sound wonderful. Don't forget you can dehydrate those cherry tomatoes and keep them in the freezer for use during the winter...Looking forward to pics of those tropicals!

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:frow

Welcome! No idea what brugs are, but they sure have interesting names...;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:welcome

You sound like you have quite a collection, can't wait for you to share!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to a great place! Never heard of bruggs. Maybe you can post a pic. later on. That's the great thing about being here, you learn so many things.

Mary

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
brugs = brugmansias?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brugmansia

I've seen these growing in a nearby yard and I, too, find them to be just gorgeous.

I'm trying to be patient and find the PERFECT one to go in my own yard.

NOID = No ID? (ie, you don't know what it is?)

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Amy, that's them. Aren't they breathtaking? And yes again, NOID equals NO I.D. I'm going out in the brug garden every few hours and taking shots of the one that is opening now, will post the photos when she fully opens, either late this evening just before dusk or even into the end of next day. Brugs are controlled by temps and blooming/colors they become depends much upon this and the time of year, amount of/or lack of...humidity. It's good your'e doing some research, but I'd think in most Georgia weather you'd be fine with most types. What zone are you in? Brugmansia transplants into greenhouse or your garage quite easily come frosts, or if in high enough zone, can even leave in ground with a good mulch and will regrow following spring.
Biscotti/vfem, love your blog, I'm going to have to subscribe :)
Ninnmary, brugmansia are commonly called 'angel's trumpets' Their counterpart is datura, which are called 'devil's trumpets.' Devils point up, brugs begin up as tiny buds and rotate downwards until they bloom.
They are typically pollinated by hummingbirds and large sphinx moths. Their fragrance is quite intoxicating, and becomes stronger near nightfall, as sphinxes are night fliers. In solanaceae family. Both devils and angels highly toxic.
Lesa, TY!! I forgot all about dehydration!!! Great idea! Lol, hubby gets no more to give out. I love dried cherry 'maters, I don't know how I forgot that...must be the spring fever, I'm out every minute I can get before the real heat and humidity sets in down here.
Thanks to all who said hello, and I will get some photos of the blooms as they arrive. I am currently fighting a mild spidermite infestation on them that was accidentally 'given' to me in a trade. I think I've just about gotten the lil' boogers wiped out :p

Latest posts