Brussels sprouts

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bought seeds. Started them in March. Transplanted in May. They barely have nubbins on them. Big tall dark green plants. Are they always this slow? What a waste as we’ve had a snow on them. I will let them go till spring, then through the shredder they go. Do I have any hopes that I’ll harvest any?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
DANG! @seedcorn ! This was the ONE crop I wanted to grow in the Fall, but I didn't start them early enough. They love cooler weather!
"For fall harvest, Brussels sprouts are planted in late May through early July."
Late MAY! Isn't that just unreal?!?!?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted mine mid May & still no edible sprouts. They must have a maturity of 250 days

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've had years where I get decent crops, and years where there's nuthin. Not sure what made the difference, weather I imagine. You gotta yank out all those bottom leaves though to make room for the sprouts to grow to a better size.

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted mine mid May & still no edible sprouts. They must have a maturity of 250 days
The one and only time I grew Brussel sprouts, I planted them in the spring and got nothing on them through the entire growing season. They came back up the second year and produced like crazy. I assumed they were a biannual crop since they did not produce the first year and did not come back up the third year.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bought seeds. Started them in March. Transplanted in May. They barely have nubbins on them. Big tall dark green plants. Are they always this slow? What a waste as we’ve had a snow on them. I will let them go till spring, then through the shredder they go. Do I have any hopes that I’ll harvest any?
I think yes, is there any information on the seed package? My ones also just started to produce, still tiny.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The one and only time I grew Brussel sprouts, I planted them in the spring and got nothing on them through the entire growing season. They came back up the second year and produced like crazy. I assumed they were a biannual crop since they did not produce the first year and did not come back up the third year.
Thanks, i’ll Let them be as I’ve now got nothing to lose. When I want that part of the garden, I’ll yank them out then if they haven’t done anything.

Does anyone else clip the bottom leaves?

Latest posts