bulbs

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
DH bought me 100 daffodill bulbs the middle of Nov. The day our daughter and grandchildren came. We have not been around the grandkids much, one we have only seen once for 1 hr. and she is 3yrs. old! Our daughter was getting ready to go back to Afghanistan for 6 more months. We spent the time visiting family, spending time with eachother and getting her son settled(he is staying with us while she is gone). I was not going to spend that time planting.

Long story short: I have only gotten about 20 planted. We have VERY rocky soil and it takes me about three tries before I find a spot I can go deep enough to plant. We live in the mts. at 5800'.We are expecting snow starting tomorrow and lasting thru Fri!!. What can I do with the bulbs to keep them until next year? I read that I can put them in a box and cover with soil. Ineed to do something. I expected DH to get me the bulbs in Sept. When I had time to plant them.

Monica

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you have room to put them in a spare refrigerator until you can get around to planting them?

Put them in bag of sawdust and check periodically for mildew/mold.

There are certain types of daffodils that are available for California that do not require hardly any chilling time before planting as well...

cknmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes, I have room in a fridge. DH got them in Bakersfield, they just say ' yellow daffodills' on the label. If Iput them in sawdust, where do I keep them? The fridge or storage?

Monica

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would put them in bags with sawdust with a tiny bit of moisture in it, think wrung out cheesecloth. Then place them in ziploc bags or equivalent. They should be fine stored that way....