Bumblebee sting!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Saturday afternoon, I got stung on the arch of my foot by a bumblebee. I had the expected swelling and INCREDIBLE itching, but I was expecting that it would have subsided by now - at least the swelling. But today when I got home from work, I found that now my ANKLE is swollen too! I've gotten stung by honeybees before, and I've never had this kind of reaction, even when I've been stung on the foot. Is the venom different in a bumblebee than in a honeybee that I might react differently? Or could it be because I had socks on most of the day? I wasn't on my feet much, and had the shoe off most of the time. I didn't figure a sock would have affected it that much. My ankle looks like I'm 9 months pregnant!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you sure you aren't? :)

Would think entirely different venom plus much stronger. I know they hurt 10X worse than honey bee

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bumble bees, like wasps, don't have a barbed stinger and can sting repeatedly in rapid succession. My guess is that it got you more than once.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't help with advice but I can sympathize with your pain. She must have had a touch of PMS to have been that touchy. I've picked JB's off bushes right around bumbles and even stroked the back of a few with no ill effects.

Sensitivity to stings can occur after any sting so do take care.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was 8, my brother and cousin found a bumble bee nest and threw rocks at it. I came along a minute later and got stung by one 3 times on my ankle. I think the neighbors up the creek a mile away could hear me screaming. You are right, @curly_kate. They really hurt, and swell big time. I had scars on my ankle for at least 25 years from that.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@MontyJ - I think you may be right about that. I soaked it for a while, and then sat with it elevated for a while tonight (wish I had a more pleasant reason to spend an evening in the recliner!), and even though it's still swollen, it's looking a lot less like the elephant man than before.

CrazyFeathers

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As we age we tend to become more susceptible to things such as allergies (Dr. told me this). I have never been allergic to bee stings, mosquitoes, or no see ums but look out now! If I get bit I honestly look like I have elephantitis of which ever appendage was bitten. I've tried the old mud pack theory, oral gel to reduce pain, Benadryle and nothing improves my swelling problems. I don't go barefoot anymore. Lol
@curly_kate I feel your pain...

Latest posts