Buying Herbs - Getting started

sweetshoplady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Is it better to find a plant that is going or to try to start them from seeds? Any tips on what grows well in Florida as far as herbs go would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mainly due to our shorter season I tend to buy plants (plus I'm in the Herb Society and have access to lots of different varieties to try!). If you've got the time and inclination, start with seeds, there's so many different things you can try that way! I don't garden in Florida, however, it seems to me this is a bit late to get seeds started down there due to the heat, you're probably better off looking for some good, sturdy transplants at this point.

sweetshoplady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
At this point, I am readying my soil, clearing weeds, firguring out what to plant and where. And the best way to go about it. That way in a couple months, I would be able to start planting, like in Sept when the weather cools off.

I know some things transplant better than others or can be started somewhere else then go into where they should be. After learning, from this site, that some herbs can be ornamental as well as useful, I thought some would be neat to have readily available in my "garden." That some can in time turn into bushes. And that is the extent of what I know about them. :)

If I start with seeds, do I start them in a little pot and move them or do I direct sow?

Thanks fo much in advance.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd start seeds in pots myself, rather than direct sow, that way you have more control over temps, lighting, water, etc. Sounds like you've got plenty of time, so plan well! What kind of herbs are you interested in?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This year buy started plants.

For next year, basil is easy from seed,. Also parsley if you pretreat w/hot water and are not in a hurry. (Other things may also be easy from seed, those are the only 2 I do myself)

Be aware that a lot of good herbs do not come true from seed, so that if you want a good-smelling good-tasting variety you may HAVE to buy a plant in a pot or cell-pak. This is definitely true of mints, thymes, tarragon; and to some extent true of some others too.

Consider gettng a couple books on growing herbs out of the local library; you can decide what's a reasonable bet to plant this year and think at more length about what might be fun to try next year.

Have fun,

Pat

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
This year buy started plants.

For next year, basil is easy from seed,. Also parsley if you pretreat w/hot water and are not in a hurry. (Other things may also be easy from seed, those are the only 2 I do myself)

Be aware that a lot of good herbs do not come true from seed, so that if you want a good-smelling good-tasting variety you may HAVE to buy a plant in a pot or cell-pak. This is definitely true of mints, thymes, tarragon; and to some extent true of some others too.

Consider gettng a couple books on growing herbs out of the local library; you can decide what's a reasonable bet to plant this year and think at more length about what might be fun to try next year.

Have fun,

Pat
Mints have to be from plants, not seeds? I have grown my own catnip and spearmint from seed, and they seem fine. Or do you mean that the plants I grew won't produce seed that will come true? The cats really like their catnip, but the spearmint is just a baby, not ready for harvest, though the leaves I have picked and sniffed do smell like spearmint.

Pat, being in such a delightful climate, have you seen the herb book by JoAnn Gardner, Living with Herbs. She lives in Cape Breton Island, northern Nova Scotia. Lots of good ideas for using herbs, as well as growing them in her less-than-ideal climate! There are some herbs I'd like to try that aren't in her book, but there is a lot of good info there, too.

Latest posts