Buying plants over net

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Son asked me about buying plants over net. He is looking at the butterfly garden set from Direct Gardening. Anyone have experience with Them? I know it is nursery over runs-I’m ok with that. Also understand they are sending starts, not plants. Starts will take 1-2 years to even approach what he thinks. With economy, 2 young kids, $$ is tight. He’s too impatient to wait for me to bring starts down. Thoughts?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you checked to see that the plants in that set are OK for his area? Just a thought.

I have no experience with that company. I've ordered tomato and pepper live plants and had them shipped in. They generally arrive in good shape. The one time the tomatoes looked rough they came back fine but they did look rough on arrival.

You are talking perennials, I've ordered from Stark Bros and other places, I'm sure you have too. Those are usually bare root and usually arrive in good shape. I suspect these will be potted plants, not bare root, so more like the tomatoes and peppers.

If they are packaged properly and they don't get hung up or damaged in shipping they should be OK from that aspect. Direct Gardening controls the packaging aspect of that, not the shipping. Have you checked the reviews and do you see any that you believe?

Jared712

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If he understands its starts and is willing to wait it might be worthwhile.

What about a butterfly seed mix? Might be more cost friendly and give a similar result.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure what he understands. Bull headed like his mother. Doesn’t want annuals. Plant once, there forever.....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dave's Garden says that it's owned by Burgess:

Burgess Seed
  • Burgess Seed
  • Direct Gardening
  • Dutch Gardens
  • Farmer Seed and Nursery
  • Four Seasons Nursery
  • Honeycreek Nurseries
  • House of Wesley
  • Inter-State Nurseries
  • Kelly Nurseries
  • Richard Owen Nursery / Exciting Gardens
  • Royal Dutch
It's rather an incredible conglomerate. If you think that you are doing comparison shopping, that may not be true. How close is your son to Bloomington Illinois? Maybe they have a retail store.

I have ordered dahlias from both Dutch and Royal Dutch. Happy enough with one order, disappointed with the other. Quality of the roots were nothing to write home about but they grew. Disappointed that the blazingly beautiful pictures in the catalog wasn't what grew with one of them. They are not at Swan Island standards.

Only a few positives and more negatives in Dave's Garden regarding the companies.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
after having repeated negative results from particular bulb companies i gave up on them. it doesn't matter if they offer free replacements or not if they never send you what their description says.

order 6 bulbs and have 2 of the 6 come up completely wrong. it takes me a lot of work to maintain what i have going here let alone having to go back and remove plants or replant them somehow so i can pick out the ones that are correct. so, i gave up and have moved on from that style of gardening.

it took me almost 9 years before i finally got back to one garden at last this past late summer to remove some daffodils that had the abovementioned issue. they were too many anyways by this time. i spread them out and they look nice now and i can keep an eye on them and cull out the ones i don't need any more of (ha right! :) ).

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Dave's Garden says that it's owned by Burgess:

Burgess Seed
  • Burgess Seed
  • Direct Gardening
  • Dutch Gardens
  • Farmer Seed and Nursery
  • Four Seasons Nursery
  • Honeycreek Nurseries
  • House of Wesley
  • Inter-State Nurseries
  • Kelly Nurseries
  • Richard Owen Nursery / Exciting Gardens
  • Royal Dutch
It's rather an incredible conglomerate. If you think that you are doing comparison shopping, that may not be true. How close is your son to Bloomington Illinois? Maybe they have a retail store.

Steve
WHAT?!?!? I live an hour from Bloomington, IL.
Didn't KNOW there was a National Seed company there.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Regarding butterfly gardens, it really is simple:
1) Spring, have milkweed established the year before.
Monarch's need to eat ONLY THIS in the spring.
2) Flowers the rest of the year that attract other butterflies and feed Monarchs before they fly south again.
Study up or pay $ for a mix.
You might be able to find milkweed and dig it up in a public area or ditch.
People steal rose cuttings from properties with abandoned houses all of the time bc they are tough. So it milkweed.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to buy roses from a very popular and reputable company - can't remember the name now. Anyway, they stopped guaranteeing their plants and their quality dropped alot in 2011 and 2012. Never ordered from them again.

Latest posts