C liming Vine

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love the look of a house covered in English ivy. As much as I love the look will not plant do to damage cause by roots to stucco. This volunteer just showed up at work, it is climbing up the wall but doesn't have roots cling to stucco . What is really strange is some branches are variegated. I am sure I did not plant this what is it ?

Sent from my iPhone
1 Attached Images
upload_2017-11-18_12-0-31.png

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried to enlarge the photo but that didn't work for some reason ...

Isn't it just Creeping Charlie? Glechoma hederacea

Ha! I just learned another name for that weed: Runaway Robin!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think glechoma has aerial roots that allow it to climb, and it has a different leaf pattern.

If Nyboy, takes a very close look at how it's clinging to the wall he will probably see holdfasts.
Twining stems, aerial roots or holdfasts are the only ways I know that a plant can climb vertically without support, other than the wall.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Creeping charlie looks and smells like the mint family. I have that same vine, self sown,on a tree of mine. It is slow growing and attractive so I am leaving it. It does look like euonymos family.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well it's not burning bush even though they are in the same Euonymus family. Burning bush is Euonymus alata, a shrub, and what you have there is more of a climbing ground cover, Euonymus somethingorother.

Latest posts