Can anyone identify these?

Sarah Lois

Garden lurker
Reaction score
This appeared on my patio this am, it seems to be a lot of tiny eggs with a jelly substance over. When looking at the eggs there hard and tortoise shell like on the outside. Does anyone know what it could be?

Attachments

• 81D04775-3D2D-40AD-8EC1-D7AF7E5429F0.jpeg
    81D04775-3D2D-40AD-8EC1-D7AF7E5429F0.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 426

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
sorry, i tried to look, but could not really tell from that picture any details.

your description does not bring anything to mind.

Sarah Lois

Garden lurker
Reaction score
I know it looks like chia with the jelly around. Thanks for looking, on closer inspection they are tortoise shell in colour when dried out.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know it looks like chia with the jelly around. Thanks for looking, on closer inspection they are tortoise shell in colour when dried out.

don't chia seeds get slimy when they get wet? similar to tomato, squash, and flax seeds? has it been raining there?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I recently tried some muffin and pancake recipes that are free of gluten and eggs. Cornmeal is the primary ingredient.

As a substitute for eggs in the muffins, the recipe has applesauce and flaxseed. Hot water in that flaxseed and it is almost like gelatin.

I don't have much experience with tree frogs; they aren't that common here. How about the eggs of those critters??

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tree frogs lay eggs in water and those eggs look like other frog eggs. I don't think so Steve.

The first thing I thought of when I saw that photo was an ants nest or soemthing digging under that tile. My next thought was is something burrowing into wood or possibly something else above that and you are seeing the debris? Something like carpenter bees in wood. That's too much for the carpenter bees I'm familiar with but maybe something else. Then could that be poop from something living above? I have trouble imagining any critter laying that many eggs that are as small as I think those are, especially out in the open. Eggs are pretty much at the bottom of my guessing list.

Those individual bits look really small. Sarah, could you try a close-up photo maybe with something like a dime in there for size reference. That might help.

Not sure what country you are in, that might help. Even knowing which state you are in might give us a clue what might be active this time of the year. If you are in the States you could even take some of those (I'd include the photo to show where) to your county extension office to see if they could identify them.

Welcome to the forum Sarah Lois. Glad you joined.

Sarah Lois

Garden lurker
Reaction score
Thank you for all of your reply’s. I’m in the UK, yes it’s been raining here. It’s very strange, they were just there in the morning, appeared from nowhere. So if they were seeds unless someone has been dropping them in my garden I really don’t know how they would have gotten there.

I was thinking ants, but there are 1000’s of them. There is no wood about to be debris from that. I don’t have a photo for size comparison but each on is around 2mm.

I’ve tried to move them today as there are right in front of my back door and they pile was very thick and like jelly. I’m so puzzled.

Thanks

Latest posts