Can I plant blackeyed peas out of.....

BettyR

Leafing Out
Reaction score
If I planted blackeyed peas out of a bag of dried peas from the grocery store would they grow?

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ohhh I want to know this one too.... I know you can plant potatos that have started growing.. happens quite often in my pantry.. LOL

ETA: I think that you just might, I think that my sons school teacher just bought a bag and planted them all in those clear cups so they could do a study on plants.

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
On the same note (sorry I haven't answered your question either!) can I plant the beans out of my own garden?

Cassandra

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
On the same note (sorry I haven't answered your question either!) can I plant the beans out of my own garden?
You sure can, just let some pods mature and dry out. (I'd suggest doing this with the tail end of the crop, as it's likely to reduce further production). Beans don't outcross very much so you'll get something pretty exactly like what you planted, at least for old-timey varieties. I do that with my scarlet runner beans.

I don't know about black-eyed peas out of the bag from the store (although I am pretty certain it is too late to plant them *this* year) - but you could try sprouting a few between damp paper towels in a ziploc, and if they sprout, then obviously the answer is Yes they'll grow :)

Good luck,

Pat

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have in past but they are over dried so you have to sow them and expect about 30% stand.

Best to keep your own if you don't want to buy seed.

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They should because they are not treated with anything. But the chancec of them growing are less because the seeds they sell at the garden store are coated with fertilizer.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reason for 30% germ (that is speculation) is because they are over dried.

Seed treatment does not affect germ but it keeps it alive after it comes up.

Seeds you buy from stores have fungicide applied on them.

BettyR

Leafing Out
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Cassandra said:
You sure can, just let some pods mature and dry out. (I'd suggest doing this with the tail end of the crop, as it's likely to reduce further production). Beans don't outcross very much so you'll get something pretty exactly like what you planted, at least for old-timey varieties. I do that with my scarlet runner beans.

I don't know about black-eyed peas out of the bag from the store (although I am pretty certain it is too late to plant them *this* year) - but you could try sprouting a few between damp paper towels in a ziploc, and if they sprout, then obviously the answer is Yes they'll grow :)

Good luck,

Pat
Thank you everyone for your help...I have an empty bale....I'm going to give it a try just for giggles and see what happens....I'll let you know if they come up and grow.

As far as it being too late this year...I live in South Texas....it doesn't start cooling off around here until sometime in December and then February is the beginning of Spring....we have winter on a Wednesday in January then it warms up again. :lol:

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I wonder if anyone has done this and how it turned out.

I will be giving this a try and see what happens.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh yes they will germinate i planted some black eyed peas from a store and they grew fine, i had a good germination rate.

I say try it!!!!! ;)

Latest posts