Can I plant grocery store horseradish?

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Can I buy a chunk of horseradish from the store and stick it in the ground? If so, when and how? How big a piece? What conditions, etc? My folks are moving near me, and I want to plant some for them....don't like the stuff myself, so am clueless about it. I'm going to buy some next week to make some sauce and some mustard, and got thinking....why not stick some in the ground at the same time?

Waddaya think?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it's not too dried out, should work. It's just a root crop. I've taken from my garden the pieces what is left and started new areas of horseradish.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
the answer is (as long as it has not been treated with some kind of antii growth stuff) yes! just contain it!!!!

I (with out shame) use a lot of grocery store items to grow things :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't grow it myself so I have no experience with it. This article says you can propigate by either crowns or roots, so I think it has a good chance if your climate is right. I read a different article which said to plant in late fall or early winter. You can always get a start from one of the seed places, but a root from the grocery should be a lot more cost effective if it works and I would gain some satisfaction from that. There is a warning that the plant gets very large so is better suited to a corner somewhere than in the garden. From this article, it also appears it might be very invasive, another reason to isolate it.

http://www.gardening-howto.com/planting-horseradish.htm

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
How big or small of a piece can I get away with? Can I plant it now, Zone 4-5, for next year's crop?

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have successfully started horseradish three times here in Georgia from store-bought root pieces. I made sure I had a bit of crown on the piece planted. MY failure is to securely MARK the spot. Months later I look and there's this weed growing that I have to really dig hard to get all out - oops. :p Hope I've labelled it well enough this time. The pieces I used were 3 - 4 inches with crown bit.

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh, rats, I didn't see ANY crown bits on the store horseradish.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Oh, rats, I didn't see ANY crown bits on the store horseradish.
dont worry just stick it in a pot and see if it grows first then put it in the ground later ..I have had tiny little pieces that had nothing on them take off so just give it a try!

and again ..contain it!!! I pulled up a good chunk of lawn one time when I pulled a horseradish root out ..not that I minded as I hate lawns but still it was about 5ft long! seriously horseradish is better contained as it spreads like crazy!

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
How fast does it grow? Should I start some in a five gallon pail now, or wait for spring? Is a bucket big enough? Will it winter over in my garage?

So many questions!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
questions are good

I have always planted a new piece in the ground around February but you can start it in a bucket now if you like just to make sure it grows

yes it should be fine in your garage if you have a window then put the bucket near there so it grows

this is a very durable plant that is for sure :)

stick it in dirt watch it grow :) and contain it! I put mine in one of the raised beds this past February and it already is pretty HUGE while I think I could dig a piece up now I will probably let it take hold even more and harvest it next year

hint when grinding your own horseradish beware of the fumes!!!

Latest posts