Can Someone Help Me with This Vine/Weed

RayB

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi. Names Ray.

I bought a lovely little house with my wife and the person who owned it before us was a little old lady who did not take care of the place very well landscape wise. We have SERIOUS weed /vine issues. All the neighbors have rejoiced in the wife and I for trying our hardest to clean up the fence and property but I think we are fighting a loosing battle and we can not afford professional help.

Let me show you what I am talking about.

This first couple pics is some vine that grew out of the ground, up through my soffit and facia of garage and all the way across the roof. And is another shot of it growing on my fence.

That is the one up the garage wall and through the soffit and across the roof. The next one is the same vine growing on the fence beside my garage.

The next two pics are pretty much the same thing except the one near garage has long arm branches where as on my front fence it is my ivy like. With the same exact THICK hairy root. The little old man next door told me it is PI, but when I cut it, nothing happened to me and if I get near PI, I have to go to hospital and get shots.

This:

And this are my front yard fence:

And one last one. I have 3 of these growing on the fence and I am here to tell you.... I touched this weed and HOLY COW!!!! It hurt so bad instantly. It burned, throbbed and felt like a million needles going in my fingers for 2 days! Is it sticky nettle?

I am so sorry for such a long post. I am just lost. I tried to get a new roof on my garage and get soffit and facia fixed and they refused until vines are under control by my garage. My wife and I are simple people and can't afford professional help.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance either way. Take care and happy gardening!

RayB

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My wife can to. Normally if I look at it I have to go to the hospital. This one the little old guy tells me is poison ivy, i got all up in seriously and not a thing wrong with me. That pic of the fence now is mild compared to what it was 3 days ago. It had branches like 12 foot tall on it.

RayB

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Any clues on that one I posted in the corner of the fence? That bay is serious bad!! When I touched it it was immediate pain and agony. I got 3 of them growing and not sure what to do about those. They scare me. ivy I can deal with, those babys, uhh no! lol I'm curious of the sticky nettle thing. I was not sure if it grew in Southern Illinois or not. If that is even what it is.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG @RayB
It is not PI, I am like you and very allergic. It could be any number of vines. Cut, pull, dig and burn and go back after anything that my sneak back up from bits of root left behind. It will be hard work as it had been left to take root for so long. :( Not sure what the stinging Nettle like plant is. (Look up stinging nettle) You may have to resort to poison for that one. (I prefer not to spray poisons but you are not going to be able to get in there and cut or pull it out.) Good Luck and hope you enjoy the TEG blog family.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Ray!
I think the best thing to do is to use an herbicide to kill it all down to the roots. I don't know enough to advise you on that, but maybe @seedcorn can help you out. He's a very knowledgeable member about controlling these types of things.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, you have some serious fence cleaning to do! I'd start with a sharp machete at the roots. Chop 'em off where they grow out of the ground. @seedcorn loves to help out with his vast superior knowledge of herbicides and how to kill things you don't want.

oh SEEDCORN!! where ARE yoooooooooo?????

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only poisonous plant I could find that looks anywhere near your plant is poison sumac, and I was under the impression it only caused a mild rash, not stinging pain like you described. Are you certain you didn't touch a wasp or hornet that may have been on the plant? Did the affected area swell up or look inflamed?
You can use long handled lobbers or an axe to get rid of that painful plant, but I think you should try to identify it. You may have a new rare species there....you could be famous! Oh, you may not want that....

Latest posts