Can someone identify this weed?

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i'm sure its not a new weed, but its driving me crazy
with the name i can research how to handle it .. i pulled it out once, but it came back, i think it is trying to kill my rose bush .. to bad i couldnt grow hair like i grow weeds!!
thanks in advance ..
6271_weed2.jpg

6271_weed.jpg

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thanks for the link, im reading it now, but to answer your question, yes its like grass, but kinda like a blade of grass, then a shoot over to another blade of grass, and it seems to replant it self repeatedly .. i dont mind in the weed area (my 'lawn'), but it seriously is trying to kill one of my roses and my fear is it will just keep going down the line .. thanks for the link and help!!

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That looks like quack grass to me too. That stupid stuff will drive me crazy. You have to pull it up from the rhizomes it puts out underneath the ground. I swear I have dug a foot down and have found quack grass rhizomes. Th only way I found to control it is to pull it up constantly. :(

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No, it's not quack grass, that is much thicker and larger than that grass. I'm not familiar with it, but it could be Bermuda grass, I hear people from warmer climes complaining about it's invasiveness. It's like quack grass but smaller.

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i'll go research bermuda grass and see, i couldnt find good images of quack grass to say for certain and i really know nothing about gardening, except i'm going to keep trying .. i was outside pulling up more weeds under my roses again this morning, we are swampy from good rains, so it was - dare i say kinda easy, but maybe 50-50 chance i get the root on each pull .. oh and i did read that quack grass follows iris's, well there was once some growing with my roses, if that helps?
thanks so much for helping, i really didnt like the info i found on quack grass .. i just do not want to use chemicals ..
thank you again!

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
well after looking at images of bermuda grass, i have seen this in my lawn area, in there it grows low to the ground and the shoot offs seem to be close like 1 inch apart and really spreads out.. that may be cuz the lawn is cut weekly?? in the rose area i do not mow there, and the weed seems to grow tall more so than out and over .. i guess it could be both, either way if i wont use chemicals looks like i just keep pulling, trying to get as much root as possible right?
thanks

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Chills... I know this is not going to help, but...

It is not quack grass and it is not bermuda grass... its a nasty trailing weed that seems to start fresh starts from creeping along the ground. My lawn is COVERED in this stuff. Its gotten into most of my gardens as it will ground under my weed fabric into the bed and if it can't get through the fabric it will grow under and then out the other side to continue taking over the entire lawn until it kills EVERYTHING!!!

I have hundreds of these weeds that have grown under my veggi garden paths, they can grow DOWN through the weed fabric and then back up through it again. It also managed to go through 3"+ of pea gravel over that weed fabric. (Not to mention I turned the soil in the winter to kill what I would kill before I covered it.)

This stuff is a nightmare!!!! You grab a hunk and start yanking to get it out and next thing you know you have a 5' strand of this with root coming out of the ground every 5". It's like super alive ROPE!

Does this sound like what you have?! If it is.... I would love to know what the heck it is too.... its driving me INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:he :he :he :he :he :he