Canadian sniper sets world record with 2.2-mile pickoff of ISIS fighter

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/2...ecord-with-2-1-mile-pickoff-isis-fighter.html

NOW PLAYING
Will the Senate bill improve patients' access to healthcare?

A Canadian sniper set what appears to be a record, picking off an ISIS fighter from some 2.2 miles away, and disrupting a potentially deadly operation by the terror group in Iraq.

Shooting experts say the fatal shot at a world-record distance of 11,316 feet underscores how stunningly sophisticated military snipers are becoming. The feat, pulled off by a special forces sniper from Canada’s Joint Task Force 2, smashed the previous distance record for successful sniper shots by some 3,280 feet, a record set by a British sniper.

“ ... the true challenge here was being able to calculate the actual wind speed and direction all the way to the target.”

- Ryan Cleckner, former U.S. Army Ranger sniper

The Canadian Special Operations Command can confirm that a member of the Joint Task Force 2 successfully hit a target from 3,540 metres [2.2 miles]," the Canadian military said in a statement.

Related Image
1498153983885.jpg
Expand / Collapse
The McMillan TAC-50 is a .50-caliber weapon, and the largest shoulder-fired firearm in existence (McMillan Firearms)

While officials would not say where the shot took place, the statement noted the command "provides its expertise to Iraqi security force to detect, identify and defeat Daesh activities from well behind the Iraqi security force front line in Mosul."

The new record was set using a McMillan TAC-50, a .50-caliber weapon and the largest shoulder-fired firearm in existence.

Read more:http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/2...ecord-with-2-1-mile-pickoff-isis-fighter.html

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
cane~(I posted this on another site)
Let me tell you about a long shot that went well: This may sound like a big fish story, but it was good. There's was a place in Angeles Crest Forest where we went plinking nearly every weekend. I had with me a Mauser Carbine I had machined a 308cal barrel for.

There were canyons and cliff~a large area.

Two men were on the plateau overlooking a lower area of canyons, bluffs and hills below, they had a young boy with them I asked what they were looking at~they had field glasses and their rifles were fitted with scopes, table with beebee or sand bags to steady their rifle. The boy pointed out a tree and described: Above that and over there's a rock, off to the side the dry creek up to the bush and over about so many feet that's a post, there's a beer can on top of the post.

I could see the post, had open sights, but couldn't see the can. I sat down with my back against the bumper of their truck found the post chambered the round, a reload with a bullet I cast from wheel weights, my arms steady on my knees, took a breath ,,,,,,,and ,,,,squeezed~the can was gone. His father and friend looked over, not sure if they should be pissed or ~and the boy asked: Can I have one of your bullets? I was happy to give him one, for when he retold the story.

Every thing works out once in a while, if we could only capture that moment.
------------------------------------------------
I use a scope round here for rodents

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whie deer hunting on our friends' ranch, I used my .308 to shoot a bobcat across a canyon at 190 +/- yards. That bobcat was killing the friends' lambs for years, so it finally paid the price. This bobcat was the largest shot is King's County Cal. as varified with Fish and Game.

Latest posts