Canning DICED Tomatoes

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recipe for diced tomatoes? I'm having a hard time finding a recipe specifically for them. Some things I've read say to follow the crushed tomato recipes, but I'm really new to canning, and when the directions to say to start crushing the tomatoes and cooking them down, I get a little lost. If I've diced the tomatoes, do I just cook them down and try not to crush them? I know that crushed tomatoes would probably be easier, but I have a lot of favorite recipes that call for diced (chicken stew, chili, spaghetti sauce), so I'd like to at least try for that added shape/texture. Plus, that's the most pricey tomato product that I buy, I don't have enough tomatoes to see me through until next year, so diced wins the canning prize. My tomatoes are starting to ripen finally :celebrate, so I'm looking for some advice.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't cook my diced tomatoes. I simply peel (hot water, immerse in ice water) and core. Then dice. I cold pack them in hot jars, and then pressure cook. Follow the Ball/Kerr recipe for whole tomatoes but you'll be able to get alot more of the diced in each jar.

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Do you find that you get less tomatoes in each jar by cold packing them? I'm not really sold on either method, but I'd like someone to sell me one or the other. ;) Do the diced tomatoes retain their shape decently?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've only ever cold packed them, so I could only assume that a hot pack would result in softer tomatoes going in, with even softer dices after pressure canning.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I cold pack too.... I just did a few pints the other day, and I notice no matter what, they all float to the top and there is always a layer of water on the bottom a good 1-2" with the tomatoes floating up. Not so pretty, but it works! :p

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So it's been established that cold packing works the best to maintain the integrity of the tomatoes?

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This might be a bit late but I cold pack as well. But I am an extremely lazy canner. I go rustic, no peeling. When you pack the jars, thats the trick, pack them as tight as possible. I water bath. Takes a bit longer but just habit. I guess I use the recipie that says "in their own juice" because there is zero room for boiling water after I pack the jars. I do get a bit of float but not much. After my jars cool I give them a small shake, the tomatoes and juice kinda blend and then actually stay that way. Hot jars are important. Last week I blew a couple bottoms because I used cold jars. :hide

Good luck

G

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Okay, I think I'll try cold packing them. I will probably peel them, since I like to buy and use them that way. Do I have to add water or anything else when I can them? I often buy no salt added, but might add a little bit? And should I be worried about the seeds?

Would anyone be willing to write about their method and/or share their recipes in a little more detail for me, the canning newbie, who is excited about her tomatoes but is starting to feel a bit intimidated by them? Pretty please? Thanks!

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Pickyourown.org has a great amount of info and basics. I would also recommend the Ball canning book.

If you jump over to the sufficient self sister site you will find lots of canning info.

G

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Pickyourown.org has a great amount of info and basics. I would also recommend the Ball canning book.

If you jump over to the sufficient self sister site you will find lots of canning info.

G