canning grass & hay

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
;);)

9 pints of canned grass & hay - after putting it through the bovine processor first, of course.
first canned milk 2.7.18.jpg

Has anyone else canned milk? The recipe I have said to bring it to 10lbs pressure then kill the heat and let it cool naturally. o_O I let the rocker rock for a couple mins because I've never worked a recipe that didn't call for it to sit a certain TIME at a certain pressure..

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
never pressure canned milk, we love whole milk yogurt and cheese too much. we can eat a gallon or two a week of yogurt. from fresh whole milk it is divine. you can taste/smell the grass/cow. :) when i was in Vermont once we visited a local dairy that had it and i never wanted to leave.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
With the freezer no longer an option for storage - and the fridge getting pretty crowded - I wanted to try this. Being able to store milk on the shelf for future baking and cooking use will be WONDERFUL.
I've been making yogurt, coffee creamer a quart at a time, and simple cheeses. :drool

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Being from Wisconsin, I guess I'm an expert. That sounds more like the process to pasteurize milk (bring heat up to a given temp and cool quickly) than canning milk.

Is this what you did?:
  1. Put water in the pressure canner to a depth of 2.5″ and place on the stove/burner.
  2. Fill clean jars with fresh milk, leave 0.5″ head space, making sure you don’t spill any milk on the rim of the jar. If you do, be sure to wipe it off.
  3. Place a lid on the jar, screw on the ring and put into the canner.
  4. Once canner is filled, put on the lid, tighten down and turn on the heat.
  5. As the canner gets hot and begins to steam, let it exhaust steam for at least ten minutes before closing the exhaust nozzle.
  6. Watch the pressure gauge, if your canner has a different set up then follow the manufacturer’s instructions. It can take up to an hour for the pressure to reach 10lbs. Once the pressure has reached 10lbs, turn off the heat and allow the canner to cool a long time before trying to open the canner. On my canner, I open the exhaust valve and if no more steam escapes, then it is safe to open the canner.
  7. Lay a towel on your cupboard, carefully remove hot jars from the canner and place on the towel. Jars should not be touching each other. Allow to cool for 24 hours before checking to make sure they are sealed and moving to storage.

Label them with the month and year the milk was canned. Milk will keep for 1-2 years or more if stored in a cool dark place.

Note: If you live in a high altitude area you need to bring the canner to 15 lbs. pressure.

It is normal for the milk to turn a slight tan color, as the milk sugar will darken the milk at high temperatures. The cream will rise to the top, just shake well before using.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Being from Wisconsin, I guess I'm an expert. That sounds more like the process to pasteurize milk (bring heat up to a given temp and cool quickly) than canning milk.

Is this what you did?:
  1. Put water in the pressure canner to a depth of 2.5″ and place on the stove/burner.
  2. Fill clean jars with fresh milk, leave 0.5″ head space, making sure you don’t spill any milk on the rim of the jar. If you do, be sure to wipe it off.
  3. Place a lid on the jar, screw on the ring and put into the canner.
  4. Once canner is filled, put on the lid, tighten down and turn on the heat.
  5. As the canner gets hot and begins to steam, let it exhaust steam for at least ten minutes before closing the exhaust nozzle.
  6. Watch the pressure gauge, if your canner has a different set up then follow the manufacturer’s instructions. It can take up to an hour for the pressure to reach 10lbs. Once the pressure has reached 10lbs, turn off the heat and allow the canner to cool a long time before trying to open the canner. On my canner, I open the exhaust valve and if no more steam escapes, then it is safe to open the canner.
  7. Lay a towel on your cupboard, carefully remove hot jars from the canner and place on the towel. Jars should not be touching each other. Allow to cool for 24 hours before checking to make sure they are sealed and moving to storage.

Label them with the month and year the milk was canned. Milk will keep for 1-2 years or more if stored in a cool dark place.

Note: If you live in a high altitude area you need to bring the canner to 15 lbs. pressure.

It is normal for the milk to turn a slight tan color, as the milk sugar will darken the milk at high temperatures. The cream will rise to the top, just shake well before using.

EXACTLY!!! Word for word the instructions I used.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night was 'Butter Night'!
1qt and 1/2 of a pint of cream turned into a quart of buttermilk and almost a pound of butter.
2.8.18 butter.jpg

@thistlebloom , I've heard of ghee but never looked into it. Will have to look that up.
Nope, @Nyboy no icecream - YET. :D

Going to try yogurt cheese tonight. I made some the other day from milk & yougurt mixed (heat, add vinegar, wash, salt, form into brick). It turned out VERY good!!!!