Canning Pumpkin update Pumkin Exspensive

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
How many quarts will 1 large pumpkin make? The new rage here is feeding dogs pumpkin, all the Vets are recommending it. I am sure if I put out my own line of organic canned pumpkin it would sell very well. Need to do the math. Have a large space in orchard that gets full sun all day.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
depends upon the size of the pumpkin. you are actually usually better growing a squash variety instead (less watery).

will need to use a pressure cooker.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Funny post! I have been canning pumpkin and I was discarding the skins to feed to horses/chickens and I caught my dog munching on them. I HAD heard that pumpkin was ok for dogs to eat, so I didn't worry.
So far I think the giant pumpkins gave me about 5 quarts, but my medium sized pumpkins were thicker and I got 9 pints from 3 of them, bc they were thicker.
I still have 2 giant pumpkins to process. I will let you know about how much each yields after next weekend.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
upload_2017-11-20_14-29-57.png

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Instead of growing them, you might see if you can purchase them cheaply from a pick-your-own pumpkin patch after halloween is over. Our local patch let people come on the last day and just bust up all the surplus for fun and tilled them under. I thought that was odd there was no other market for them, even to be fed to livestock.

Latest posts