Canning Pumpkin update Pumkin Exspensive

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey that is a great idea. Thinking to hire someone to can and pay so much per jar then put my own label on it.
Great idea, however what about quality control at each step for the finished product ? Liability and errors and ommisions policy as well as local, state and federal licensing and regulations ? Years ago, my wife being a gourmet cook, started a small business making canned and backed goods and selling them at a city sponsored craft sale twice per year. Venture was a huge success ... then another person was sued after some holliday bread that she sold made the buyer and family ill. Soon the city made the decision that all vendors had to get liability and errors and omitions insurance policies as well as very strict rules to follow and an increase of rent and health inspection fees. Problem was the cost of these policies , rules and fees was more than 70% of my wife's annual profits. Out of business. :hu

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, what I like is that you already have a source for steady clients. I like Journey's idea. It would cut down the amount of work you would have to do or worry about bugs, powdery mildew, etc. On our local site people post their free pumpkins after Halloween or Thanksgiving. I collected some once for my chickens. Those darn birds didn't like pumpkins! Maybe you could post on cl or other sites looking for free pumpkins. Of course you may not know if they are organic or not.

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
This will be labeled for dogs not human. I do know several people who make homemade dog treats The problem with collecting pumpkins after Halloween would be the organic factor. People here want organic ( there are 2 whole foods within 5 miles of kennel) Has anyone seen the movie Baby Boomer ?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Alex you might want to chat with your lawyer about this idea. A lot of the Federal rules on this won't apply as long as you stay in-state and stay below a certain threshold of sales. Your state and local laws are probably the ones that apply. Local and state rules are often stricter than the Feds anyway. This may or may not involve a visit from your health department, even if it is for dogs. So you are not only looking at liabilities but to assure you are following laws. It might be a good idea to know what those thresholds are so you don't get too big.

Not sure how labelling it organic affects that either. It's very possible that you have pretty strict rules if you want to put organic on the label, but maybe you can instead say "follows organic principles" or such. That's not the same as being "certified organic".

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most canned vegetables here are unbder $1.50
upload_2017-12-12_12-40-28.png

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure how labelling it organic affects that either. It's very possible that you have pretty strict rules if you want to put organic on the label, but maybe you can instead say "follows organic principles" or such. That's not the same as being "certified organic".

it is very well specified and you can find the regulations on-line. i don't like it when government takes a common normal word and then messes with it to turn it into a trademark like or brand like issue. i sure hope they don't screw around with "natural"...

anyways, each state varies. MI is letting people sell things from uninspected kitchens as long as it is below a certain volume and it is clearly labelled as such.

i don't sell stuff, i just give it away, much easier...

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The reason they specify rules for "certified organic" is that some people will say that since any living plant or animal is "organic" then any plant or animal is organic regardless of how it is raised. At least if it is certified organic you should know what you are getting, if they follow those rules. If you don't cross state lines oar reach certain volumes the federal rules may not apply, but a lot of local governments have their own rules. It's not always just that each state varies, where Alex lives I would not be surprised if county or city rules also apply.

There are some words that are not legally defined. They can mean anything to anybody so I consider them worthless, anybody can use them on anything.. To me they are just marketing words that have no meaning. At least if I grow it I know where it came from.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pumpkin is very expensive around here. I think it is quite cheap in the store. However your clients probably would pay any price for organic gourmet pumpkin for their pets. But one thing to consider is liability of a canned product. Anyone that sells cooked or uncooked food at a farmers market must have a permit from the health department and carry liability insurance.

Latest posts