Canning Question

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do not like lowering the rack with the jars into the boiling water. It scares me! Last time I made salsa I lowered it very slowly but I accidently tipped it a little and I heard the jars tap. Well sure enough the bottom of one jar broke off. This has happened before but I just continue the canning process.

Question: Can I put my jars into cold water and then bring them to a boil and start the timing at that point? This means they will be in the water about 15 minutes before they come up to a boil. I'm guessing the seal won't be sealed yet and therefore there may be a risk of bacteria or something getting in there while they are sitting in cold water waiting to boil. This would make my life so much easier. A hugh pot of boiling water just scares me!

If I can't do that, is there a easier better way to get those jars into the boiling water? My rack doesn't have sections for individual jars. My old canner did but the divider should be higher. They didn't do much.

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I use these, not sure what the correct name is. You should be able to get them at Walmart in the canning section. I use them to set the jars in the canner on top of the rack and to take them out when they are done.

Lifters.jpg

I threw the rack I think you are talking about that came with the canning set into the recycling. I considered it worthless for anything other than quarts.

Making salsa I don't think it would hurt anything to start with cold water, but I'm not sure how important texture is to you with your salsa. If you are waterbath canning pickles or such they will be cooking as you heat them up, you want it over with as fast as you can. With some things it might make a difference. I think texture would be the main consideration with salsa.

What you don't want is to put a cold jar into hot water or a real hot jar into cold water. Either can make the jar crack. I will sometimes put a relatively "not that hot" jar in hot water and never had one crack but the bigger the temperature difference the bigger the risk. I personally would not worry about the bacteria as long as you are using clean water.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do not like lowering the rack with the jars into the boiling water. It scares me! Last time I made salsa I lowered it very slowly but I accidently tipped it a little and I heard the jars tap. Well sure enough the bottom of one jar broke off. This has happened before but I just continue the canning process.

Question: Can I put my jars into cold water and then bring them to a boil and start the timing at that point? This means they will be in the water about 15 minutes before they come up to a boil. I'm guessing the seal won't be sealed yet and therefore there may be a risk of bacteria or something getting in there while they are sitting in cold water waiting to boil. This would make my life so much easier. A hugh pot of boiling water just scares me!

If I can't do that, is there a easier better way to get those jars into the boiling water? My rack doesn't have sections for individual jars. My old canner did but the divider should be higher. They didn't do much.

Mary

if the lids/rings are on tight and all is in good condition as they should be there shouldn't be any water getting in there.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridge, I have one of those tools and do use it when I am pulling the jars out.

I'm talking about something different. My rack has a lip (for lack of better term) that sits on the edge of the pot while I put the jars in. Then I take the handles of the rack and slowly lower the jars. I panic when the water is boiling and steam is rising and it gets too hot for me. That's when I have tilted the rack slightly and the jars tap. Even though I hear the tap and knowing that most likely a jar is cracked I just disregard it and lower them in. I don't think I would be able to see the crack and nevertheless it is too late to do anything about it. If I were to remove the cracked jar it would just keep my water clean. But I don't care about that so I leave it.

I puree my salsa in the blender so it's already smooth. What I could do is turn the pot off so that it's not boiling and creating steam to scare me. Think I'll try that first before the other method of putting them in cold water.

You don't use the rack? Do you just put them at the bottom on a towel or something? I would think the towel would float before the jars are in.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridge, I have one of those tools and do use it when I am pulling the jars out.

I'm talking about something different. My rack has a lip (for lack of better term) that sits on the edge of the pot while I put the jars in. Then I take the handles of the rack and slowly lower the jars. I panic when the water is boiling and steam is rising and it gets too hot for me. That's when I have tilted the rack slightly and the jars tap. Even though I hear the tap and knowing that most likely a jar is cracked I just disregard it and lower them in. I don't think I would be able to see the crack and nevertheless it is too late to do anything about it. If I were to remove the cracked jar it would just keep my water clean. But I don't care about that so I leave it.

I puree my salsa in the blender so it's already smooth. What I could do is turn the pot off so that it's not boiling and creating steam to scare me. Think I'll try that first before the other method of putting them in cold water.

You don't use the rack? Do you just put them at the bottom on a towel or something? I would think the towel would float before the jars are in.

Mary

you must be using pretty thin jars if a light tap from tipping is causing them to crack is all i can think of. perhaps get some thicker jars?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor, have DH & kids buy you a pressure canner for present. Quicker and safer.

Search CL.....:rainbowflower would be proud.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flowerbug, I use Ball or Kerr canning jars.

Ok just did my third batch. They were 8oz jelly jars so of course they were lighter and that helps. I turned the pot off so there was less steam and it was easier. But again I think cause of the smaller jars and not the pints.

Seed, silly question but do you use water in pressure canners? Also, how many pints or half pints fit in there?

My birthday is in a couple days so maybe I'll buy myself a present. ;)

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
"Question: Can I put my jars into cold water and then bring them to a boil and start the timing at that point?"
You sure Can can that way!! I have done it before. You start timing when the water reaches a rolling boil.
Here's the deal, the jars can stand some temperature changes but Will crack when you go from cold to hot OR hot to cold. My expertise is in hot bath canning---STILL haven't used my pressure canner, but DH is threatening to cut something off if I don't use it this year!! :hide
I put the rack in FIRST, and then add the jars. I add HOT food to HOT jars and making them wait until you have filled the rack will let them cool some. SOME products, like jelly will keep their heat pretty well.
Most of the time it is a good idea to have an extra pot, or a small crock pot, with boiling hot water in it. You need the piece that has a magnet so that you can put the lids in and soften up the rubber RIGHT BEFORE you put it on the jar, then you hand screw on the lid as tight as possible, and then as soon as you can you put it in the rolling boiling hot water bath, put on the lid, and start the timer. Better to go longer than shorter.
I remove mine to my stove top and then to a large wooden cutting board to be sure that the colder counter doesn't crack a jar. When you hear the pop, it means that a jar has completed it's sealing. Always test the lid center. If it is not solid you can press down and it will pop back. THAT means that it is NOT sealed. Not a problem! Put it back in and cook it long enough to finish the seal. With practice you will get the hang of it! :hugs
When you do a batch, the last set of jars seems like baking the last cookies from a batch and you are DONE with it!! :th
I often check the jars, turn off the burner and leave them sit in the water overnight, then take them out in the morning. Doesn't hurt a thing.
Lost ONE jar out of hundreds in the last 5 years bc of a bad seal.
I used "can" 5x
You will find Other uses for the funnels, and I have 2 of them. I use some of my quart jars to stores other things, and my coffee beans have lids that I bought specifically for NON SEALED storage. It is very easy to pour ANYTHING into canning jars with these funnels and I buy 2lb packages of coffee beans. They are decorative and give you other ways to use your jars, BUT, you cannot use them to Can with, in case you didn't know.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Pioneer-Woman-Spring-Mason-Storage-Jar-Lids-Set-of-4/781737612
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=y2he3gF5uSM

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Ducks thank you for such detail instructions but I have been canning salsa for years! It's just that as I get older, I'll be 65 soon, I dislike having to lower jars into a hugh pot of boiling water. It scares me now when it didn't used to.

I have granite counters which are cool to the touch so I never place hot things on it. I lay down a folded towel to put the jars on when they come out of the canner.

I am also aware of jars breaking when going from extreme temperature changes. I make peach crisp in wide short canning jars and freeze. But I always put them on a cold cookie sheet and into the oven first before I turn the oven on. This way they gradually go up in temperature.

I like those lids but seem pricey to me. I just use the regular canning used lids.

Mary