Canning Questions

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm always scared when I lower the rack with jars onto the boiling water. Can I put the jars containing salsa in cold water in the canner first and then bring it up to a boil? I would time it from when the water starts boiling. I figured this would over cook some foods and make them mushy but since it's salsa that has a pureed texture I can't see why it would matter.

I have an open box of jars with lids. Of course, I didn't label them but I'm 80% sure the lids are new. Is there a way to tell if lids are new before using them? I would hate to find out after the water bath when they don't seal.

Another question, once my salsa is canned, can I freeze half of it when I open it? Sometimes pints are too big for us and I'd like to be able to use these jars knowing I can freeze the rest. I prefer to can. I don't have room in my freezer to freeze all of my salsa.

Thanks,
Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm always scared when I lower the rack with jars onto the boiling water. Can I put the jars containing salsa in cold water in the canner first and then bring it up to a boil? I would time it from when the water starts boiling. I figured this would over cook some foods and make them mushy but since it's salsa that has a pureed texture I can't see why it would matter.

I have an open box of jars with lids. Of course, I didn't label them but I'm 80% sure the lids are new. Is there a way to tell if lids are new before using them? I would hate to find out after the water bath when they don't seal.

Another question, once my salsa is canned, can I freeze half of it when I open it? Sometimes pints are too big for us and I'd like to be able to use these jars knowing I can freeze the rest. I prefer to can. I don't have room in my freezer to freeze all of my salsa.

Thanks,
Mary

canning jars should be able to take the heat change without any issues. if a jar breaks that usually means it was cracked/chipped anyways. if you want some measure of added safety you can heat up the salsa a bit before adding it to the jars and that will minimize the difference. i always either cold pack veggies and then dump boiling brine over them or hot pack jars and have never had problems with them breaking. only a few over many thousand jars...

the used lids should have a definite ring from where the jar rim marked the sealant/goop. however, if the lid is clean and otherwise sound it may work just fine a second time. i've done that for some high-acid items where i had such huge surplus i wasn't too concerned if it didn't seal. in all cases they sealed fine.

if you keep the salsa in the fridge after opening it it should be good for weeks, salsa usually has enough acids in it from the tomatoes that it's ok... i wouldn't freeze it again. i can eat a whole pint of salsa myself by making some well buttered toast and dumping the salsa over that (a sort of bread pudding). used to be one of my most favorite meals (until i had to stop eating tomatoes)...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not concerned about the jars breaking. I'm more concerned about the amount of time that the salsa would be "cooking". It would be around 30 minutes.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Making the first batch.

Attachments

• D548843E-1252-4BDC-841B-C5625E73AA08.jpeg
    D548843E-1252-4BDC-841B-C5625E73AA08.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 272

Latest posts