Can't find pickling salt!

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have been to six different grocery stores in my town and other towns...no one sells pickling salt.

Guess I need to find a way to buy it online.

HAs anyone else had trouble locating pickling salt?

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Look for a salt that does not have iodine in it.
Normally table salt has iodine added which turns pickles an unappealing brown color. I have used it in emergencies. It works, but I didn't use those pickles for gifting ;)

You might also try stores like Walmart or drugstores. You'd be surprised what they carry sometimes

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've seen some things state you can use kosher salt or pickling salt. But I don't know if they'd be interchangable in every case...

I had a little trouble finding it this year because I was looking for the canister that Ball makes. But eventually I found Mrs. Wages in a bag instead. This was at Walmart. Maybe they're selling out? I know I've been canning just about all day every day the past two weeks! :p

ETA: Feed stores are also a good place to look for canning supplies. All our local mom and pops carry it, as well as Tractor Supply Co.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes Kosher salt is the same as sea salt. As I understand it (Rebitzin can correct me if I'm wrong) to be kosher salt must come from the sea, not be mined.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Pickling salt is usually available at WalMart or other mass market retailers in their seasonal aisle, or at hardware stores in the same aisle. It isn't in the baking aisle ( not sure where you've looked).

I read in a pickle recipe just yesterday that Kosher isn't always interchangeable, as the size of the crystals affects the measured volume and will affect some recipes.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Around here it's in every store, W/Mart, groceries, Dollar General, feed/farm supply.
THANX RICH

VVolfpack

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I read in a pickle recipe just yesterday that Kosher isn't always interchangeable, as the size of the crystals affects the measured volume and will affect some recipes.
Seems like i've seen on the TV show "Good Eats" where he put his kosher salt into the food processor when he needed something finer

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I used kosher salt in my last pickling adventure.

What I do not get is why it has to be ground really fine?

Won't it dissolve given a few extra minutes?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
beavis said:
I used kosher salt in my last pickling adventure.

What I do not get is why it has to be ground really fine?

Won't it dissolve given a few extra minutes?
It will disolve if you HEAT the pickling solution... do not worry about it. It needs to be finer in situations like BAKING, and use with cool foods. :) I hope that helps.

I am the Biscotti Queen, and we use kosher salt only in our baking.;)