Cat litter box :((

Awww..Dirt!

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have a courtyard at the front of house.

My neighbor's cats have taken over as litter box. ugh! :mad:
Last year I cleaned it all out, waited a few days for it to dry out, rebarked it and kept animal replellant out there, cayene powder, rose bush cuttings. And still they came back.

So I have let it grow over with weeds and grass, nothing soft to dig in. Cat's haven't been in there much, if at all.

Going to clean it all out again, so I can plant a garden in there. But before I do I need to be ready so they don't ruin it again. Help anyone know what I can do?

It was suggested moth balls, pine needles...
Anyone solve this problem before?
:barnie

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Not sure how large of an area you've got, but if you can lay some chicken wire between the dirt and the mulch it would discourage cats. They need to scratch around when they ....um, you know. The chicken wire makes that pretty tough.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've used chickenwire on very large houseplant pots in the past and yes it works well. I have heard good reports of it in outdoor applications too.

Pat

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think chicken wire is your best bet.

Heavy coarse mulch has worked in the past for me. The cats don't seem to like it. I've heard that moth balls and citrus peels work but have never tried them. Dog urine also could work if someone has a dog, maybe borrow it? There is also commercially available coyote and fox urine that you can apply.

You could always plant a bunch of catnip in your neighbors yard :p

Lady_Irish

Sprout
Reaction score
Catnip! Ha... that's funny! Wouldn't work for my cat... though he's indoor. He doesn't like catnip??? Weird cat. :rolleyes: Anywho. I know that a bleach solution sprayed on the ground can deter cats. They show that on the pet rescue shows. They do it to get rid of the smell from horder-houses. But apparently it also can keep cats from urinating there too??? :/ I don't know. Never tried it. Don't know how it might affect the plants you have either. I like the chicken wire idea! I have the same problem. Might try that for next year!:D

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
bunch-a-chickens said:
Put a bulle...never mind. :D chicken wire is a good idea.
:gig :lol: :love the quick witted ones!

How about the motion sensor sprinklers? Cats hate that and it would also give your little plot a shot of moisture each time Sylvester tried to go potty!

redoak

Sprout
Reaction score
I've used with success spruce needles to keep cats out of a garden.

Latest posts