Cats Ear for Dinner!

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today I foraged some cats ear. It's very similar to dandelion greens. It's my first time trying it. I am having it on the side of homemade chimichongas! My daughter made the cute whale shaped cutting board you see in the picture!

Attachments

• IMG_20220905_174916700_640x480.jpg
    IMG_20220905_174916700_640x480.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 76

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's one good looking cutting board, Dahlia :).

We are continuing with the harvesting of the Italian dandelion - new-to-us this year. It is in the chicory family. I see in Wikipedia that Hypochaeris radicata (cats ear) is not quite as bitter as the common dandelion. I wish that was true for the "Italian dandelion." It's more distantly related but that bitterness is much the same. The Italian dandelion is growing in a very shady location in the backyard and one might have thought that keeping it out of the stress of the full sun little garden would have tempered that flavor.

The house sparrows are voracious in the backyard and continue to damage the escarole. Darn it! Howsomeever ... the Portuguese kale has already done some recovery from the 100 degree days and is quite tasty. Amaranth has been there for us in good amounts again this Summer. There's a red-root pigweed there amongst the amaranth plants and DW has been harvesting it along with them. And, why not :D?! Stops it from blooming & setting seed. A little wild harvesting of a related plant.

Steve

Latest posts