cattails for soggy ditch

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
My son has a low spot in his yard that stays pretty wet and the lawn mower bogs down in it. He wants to plant something there that will not require mowing. I was think a nice stand of cattails. Does anyone know how to transplant and when. I know several places where I can get some that are speading from ditch into filed. (Farmer would love to see them go.)

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I like the cattail idea because they are edible. Just cut the stalks all the way to the ground and replant the tubers in the new location. They will grow back.
Here's some other ideas for swampy areas: Iris, Canna, Elephant ears, Cranberry bushes.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
My choice would be a weeping willow- just love the look of them...
Son is not a tree or landscape or flower guy. He cut out ALL shrubs, dug up all peonies and a few trees that came with the house. I do not think he wants a willow. Besides as it got bigger it would obscure the veiw of the road as they back out of the drivewway and it is a busy one! I still think catttails might be the best solution for him. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think there is a dwarf willow out there so wouldn't get too big but might still help with the drainage issue.