Causes Of Winter Kill

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Almost every tree and shrub I plant has winter kill. Every spring I wait to see how many dead branches a tree will have. It is very rare for tree or shrub in my yard not to have some winter kill. I planted 6 blueberries about half the bush is dead. It does not matter what type of winter we have. What cause branch death during winter ? I have a weeping plum I spent a lot of money for half is dead.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's a lot of variables. Around here I've seen it caused by dry falls followed by a severe freeze going into winter with no snow cover. The ground freezes and the plants roots don't have snow as insulation.

Another thing is temperature swings, a warm trend causes the plants to de-acclimate to winter, then when it gets super cold again they are no longer fully dormant.

Blueberries have very shallow roots. They should have a wood chip mulch to cover, and especially before winter.

The ideal situation is a long slow temperature decline in fall and steady temperatures through winter.
Oh, and enough fall rain to keep the soil moist before it freezes.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you water them in the winter? They can dry out in winter too, even if dormant. My oil doesn't freeze and stay frozen , yours probably does. So water well before it freezes for the winter.

When you plant them do you settle the dirt around the roots so you don't leave air spaces. When you plant them add dirt in layers and settle dirt around the roots. That's one of the benefits of watering when you plant, it helps settle the dirt, so water in layers so the water reaches the roots so it can settle the loose dirt.

Are you planting them after the ground is frozen? I don't do that but maybe there is some special technique you need to follow. The dirt does need to settle around the roots.

The first winter is often hard on shrubs and trees. After they are established they usually do much better. If I can get them through their first winter they usually do OK. I don't always get them through.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee good information. Our winters are crazy last winter we had 1 snow temperatures where above freezing. 3 winters ago snow almost every 3 days temperatures below zero most of winter. In fall the sprinklers are turned off for winter, but NY usually has wet winters be it snow or rain. It hurts I planted a weeping crab apple and a weeping plum in spring, both came from good nursery and where not clearance trees. Both have heavy loss of branches.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I usually put straw around them for the first winter or two until the roots establish. I also only plant bare root trees.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, are the dead and damaged branches of the trees consistent as far as which side they are on?
In other words are they dead on the N,S,E,W side?

You can also run into problems with too much prolonged wetness, as could happen with your clay soil.
Planting depth is critical also. The buttress roots and the root flare should be visible. Don't trust the old advice of planting at the same depth as it was in the nursery pot. Many nursery trees are planted too deep in their containers, and more soil is topped up for aesthetics.

How are the trees doing that you planted on raised mounds?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
This weekend I will take some photos. Good question Thistle not sure about die off mostly one side, will keep eye out for that. Every tree I plant on the high side. Rich sometimes I feel like all my fingers are brown

Latest posts