Celeriac, Celery Root, whatever you call it.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' I seem to remember you grow celeriac. How do you store it? From what I read it doesn't last long after you dig it.

I'm growing it for the first time. My plans to use it are basically soup or as an addition to chicken broth instead of regular celery. I don't need it to be crisp or anything like that. My thoughts are to leave most of it in the ground growing until it's close to a freeze or frost, then peel and blanch it before it goes in the freezer.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting thought, whether as a powder or chips. I'd think you'd need to slice it fairly thin to get it to dry in a reasonable amount of time. Supposedly it darkens pretty quickly if you don't blanch it or maybe treat it with lemon juice or that preservative Ball makes. If I go to the trouble of blanching it I'd probably just freeze it in vacuum bags. Something to think about though. I don't have any plans for the dehydrator in the near future.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
From what I read it doesn't last long after you dig it.
That would be news to me.

If you cut the roots, and there is strong temptation to do that, there will be discoloration to the bulb in a short time. However, we usually have at least some of the bulbs in the crisper drawer and trying to get them clean without removing the roots is nearly impossible. They have required just a little more trimming when they have come out of the fridge literally months later. Some celeriac bulbs have lasted well into the spring.

I have also stored them in a pit, with carrots and beets. Covered with about 6" of soil and 18" of leaves, they have done okay, roots and dirt ... However, the bulbs sprouted before the other veggies. Not a big problem.

We may learn how they survive a hard frost in the garden, soon. In 6 or 10 years of growing celeriac, they have always been out of the ground before they had a chance to freeze. Mulching and leaving them there seems like it should work.

You will have the starch of a potato and the flavor of celery for your chicken soup, Ridge'. I bet you will like it.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Details please Steve. In the crisper drawer do you put them in some kind of bag or just leave them laying in there loose? Maybe the carrot storage trick where you put them in a bag but use a straw to let them breathe. Wrap them in a newspaper or paper towel? I assume you do not try to wash the celeriac, washing is usually not good for storage. I understand not cutting the roots. The roots on these are a tangled mess so yes, no way to get all the dirt off. Do you or do you not store other specific things in the drawer with it? I assume no curing after digging, straight into the crisper. A lot of times success or failure is in the details.

Thanks in advance.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DSC00431.jpg
Hosed off, trimmed, allowed to dry for an hour or two, bagged in plastic, and refrigerated.

They have lasted well just like that and maybe as you would treat a carrot.

No need to wash but just into a pit about 2' deep. They can be stacked with carrots for neighbors until they are within about 6" from the soil surface. I like to have a frame to hold the leaves. This soil drains readily and the technique may not work well in some soils.

Steve

Latest posts