Chayote sprouting

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I was given a chayote fruit and it sat on the counter a long time while I figured out exactly what to do with it...and now it is sprouting!

Anyone have any experience with these? I want to plant it and see what it will do.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Plant it upright in the grond with the sprout just at grond level or slightly above. The fruit provides the food to get it going and the sprout grows roots. In your area you have a long enough growing season to grow it and get chayotes. It needs a LOT of room. I run mine up an embankment. It will also need lots of water. It takes a full growing season before you see the first chayotes but after that you'll have more than you and your neighbors can use. The vine tips are also edible and sold as greens in Mexican and Asian food markets. I use my excess vines as rabbit food.

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks! I figured you might know what to do with it, you seem to know about all the uncommon garden plants. This should be an interesting adventure.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine surprised me last Winter by producing a few fruits even during the short days. For some reason it's slow starting this Spring but it's moving up the hill now. BTW the tuber at the root is also edible but you destroy the vine if you harvest that. It's considered a delicacy in Central America.
I forgot to mention. Don't take the seed out of the fruit if you plant more. The seed dies if you do. You have to plant the whole thing.

Latest posts