Cheddar Cheese

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How do you keep a block of cheese from going moldy after opening up the original packaging?
I thought I had this beat by soaking a paper towel in vinegar, wrapping the block of cheese and sealing in a new plastic bag. This worked really well with the last block I bought but not so with the second block. It's not how long you keep it as I still had a small piece of the first block from 2 months ago, still no mold on it.

!0 years back this wasn't a problem:(.

Annette

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
use a different bag? *heeheehee* sorry that was too easy... :) my grandma saved tinfoil and would reuse it many times over. when she sent the kids to school their sandwhiches were wrapped in newspaper tied with string and they would get yelled at if they didn't bring the string back. during the depression they lived on potatoes, onions, bread and once in a while bacon, their butter was bacon grease...

um, heh, i went sideways a bit there... i suspect most cheeses people get these days have more moisture in them.

i would make sure they are well wrapped and wouldn't remove them from the original wrapping at all.

we have a designated cheese bag in the fridge which gets used for the outer wrapping but we don't remove the inner wrapping. a 2lb block of cheese will last us a week or two. we usually replace it after a half dozen or dozen blocks of cheese because they don't make them very sturdy any more and they stop sealing or tear...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Believe plastic bag is part of the problem. Seals in humidity allows molds to grow. Cheese is a living thing-eat it or watch it die and molds start.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Eat it all, you guys aren't helping ;), the only cheddar we've found we really like comes in fairly large slabs, takes awhile for the two of us to get through it.This time I sealed it in a plastic bag with a tsp. of vinegar without the paper towel sucked most of the air out before sealing the bag, we'll see how this works. Tried freezing it but then it's the pits to grate it just crumbles.

The light bulb just came on, Google is your friend, a couple more things to try:).

Annette

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
sorry no help @aftermidnight we have never had the problem we can eat a good size block with in a week.. dw does go to the deli section and she finds sliced cheeses and meats for sandwiches as well...

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How do you keep a block of cheese from going moldy after opening up the original packaging?
I thought I had this beat by soaking a paper towel in vinegar, wrapping the block of cheese and sealing in a new plastic bag. This worked really well with the last block I bought but not so with the second block. It's not how long you keep it as I still had a small piece of the first block from 2 months ago, still no mold on it.

!0 years back this wasn't a problem:(.

Annette

Do you mean a block like the store size block? 16 oz? I use scissors to cut the original package open...I cut off the useless ziplock thing. Then I slice off what I need, slide it back into the original packaging.....THEN...I put it in a larger 1 gallon ziplock bag...or those twist tie bags. The secret is...NOT to seal the outer bag. I roll the outer bag over the original package the cheese is sold in. It has worked pretty good for me for 2 or 3 years now. Allow for air circulation, without drying the cheese out.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't remove the original wrapper either. I just cut through it to get the size I need to grate or cut the wrapper down so I can slice it, then put it in a larger bag to store. It will keep well for a month to 6 weeks.

I had heard that about vinegar preventing mold Annette, but never got around to trying it.

If you know you will be using some of it grated I would slice a hunk off, right through the original packaging and grate it up, then freeze it.

Latest posts