1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. This member need landscaping ideas - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Chickadees!

Discussion in 'Gardening With Animals' started by thistlebloom, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Jun 14, 2016
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

Every now and then a chickadee pair will nest in the birdhouse by our front door, in spite of all the traffic going in and out. It was fun watching the whole process as the parents built the nest, I even recognized the horse hair clumps from the pile I made when I groomed the winter coat off the little horse.
    Then the busy pair feeding the babies, and finally the babies taking their first little flights.
    Chickadees are common little birds but are amazing little pest control buddies as they love to eat caterpillars, especially spruce budworms.

DSCN3699.JPG
    Yelling for mom to hurry up with lunch.

DSCN3696.JPG
    Mom kept looking at me, probably annoyed by my snooping.

DSCN3694.JPG

Is that sweet or what?

2. Jun 14, 2016
    so lucky

so lucky Garden Master

I love having birds nest close to our outdoor living areas. (Except English Sparrows!) Wrens are fun, but really noisy. What is that spring thing hanging from the birdhouse?

3. Jun 14, 2016
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

It's a moose and a welcome sign. A gift from my niece who gives me moosey stuff. :)

They fledged the day after I took these pictures, which was Memorial Day.
    I walked around to the front of the house via the lawn and nearly squashed two of them who were huddled together on the grass. I'm glad I saw them before the dogs, so stuffed the two back in the nest and put the dogs away.
    I know, not the right thing to do, but I just wanted them contained until I could wrap some wire fencing around the birdhouse area.
    My husband got home early and did the same thing, put them back in the nest. :lol:

That poor mama bird was probably cussing us out. Dh saw them later across the lawn and the parents were feeding them. It's amazing that they survive, they are so vulnerable when they leave the nest.

Larisa likes this.
  4. Jun 15, 2016
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Oh how cute! Love that smoke bush and the bird house. They look well together. ;)

Mary

5. Jun 16, 2016
    journey11

journey11 Garden Master

We've really enjoyed our bluebird box out by the garden. Mama bluebird raised 6 babies this year and never came back for a second brood (those 6 must have done her in, lol.) MIL bought us 3 or 4 other wooden birdhouses, but I haven't hung them. I believe there was a chickadee box too. I have only one tree in my yard and no where to put them! Maybe I will try hanging mine close by too. :)

valley ranch likes this.