Chicken math

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
swampducks said:
That's a lot of eggs! I don't have room for that many birds. I do have an old rabbit hutch that we converted to a temporary coop for summer only in case we raise extra chicks. Used it for meaties a couple of times, but this year I'm removing the ramps so I can access the whole enclosed yard, it's 12 x 12 and plant veggies in it. Tried corn last year with a so-so results. I think a bunch of cucumbers is a good idea with snow peas on the edges. Need to get some manure or something in there though, it's all sand and what little chicken poo is in there was pretty thin and useless.

Anyway, sure hope I don't need it for birds though I should know before it's safe to plant cukes outside, which will be in June. By then I'll know how many guinea eggs I've been able to place in the bator, and whether I decided to buy any chicks at TSC or from the local feed store in May. The old Sears and Roebuck 3 level brooder is scheduled for the hatchery order in June.

Hmmm, maybe I will need that hutch... Dang it, chicken math is so hard!
Luckily we have 10 acres, so having room isn't a problem. I will need a bigger coop, and some breeding pens, but those were on the list anyway. Did I mention the 25 chicks I already have in the brooder? Yeah, I'm going to be overrun with chickens this year. Most of the roos will end up in the freezer though, I only need one of each type for breeding. I already have my EE rooster, I'll be looking for the best BCM and NH roos to keep. I'm still crossing my fingers that the Seramas cooperate and give me the boy and girl I need. The quail aren't even really on my radar, if they hatch they will be my hubby's to deal with.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
PLEASE keep us posted on the NHs when I build my coop thats what I plan on getting. I've even entertained the thought of putting a Freedom Ranger roo over the NHs to increase their size and still get a decent laying hen that produces large eggs.

Latest posts