Chicks In Winter

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last night I stopped at tractor supply, they had brooders with heat lamps set up. Sign said chicks arriving soon. I was surprised at time of year I thought chicks where spring time. Then I got to thinking winter chicks might start laying that summer is that right? I never raised chicken chicks bought laying hens. I had what farmer called golden comets / sexlink love them. What breed do you like?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got my red sex links last October. I raised them in the house for a couple of months and then they went outside when they had enuf feathers. They think I'm their mom. They started laying eggs this past April or so. And one went Broody and was a PITA for two weeks.

I'm fine with any chicken but I've only had these and then before in Murphys, had huge big black ones (name escapes me). They all are fun!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Golden Comets and other sex links are great, dependable layers, but for personality I enjoy Speckled Sussex and Easter Eggers.
All I know for sure is I don't want white ones. What a mess in the yard when they molt! Too bad there's not a green chicken.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like to get chicks at the very last of the spring sales and at the beginning of summer.

I haven't set up the brooder for about the last 3 batches. Instead, I build a little "inverted stool." A folded towel goes on the underside of the board. It's stapled so as not to fall off. The chicks can crawl between the legs in a soft bedding material and beneath that soft towel.

The chicks become quite animated as light dims. It's how I made Olivia a special pet. I would hold my hand in the box as she complained and she would crawl under my hand and fall asleep. She didn't want to be picked up. Oh no! But, I could move her to the stool and she would crawl under to join her companions.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
NyBoy, you asked about breeds.

The hybrids and their parent lines are in the control of large companies. The standard breeds -- I think that it really depends on the hatchery selecting and maintaining bloodlines. There must be hundreds if not thousands of those outfits.

I once bought Barred Rocks, thinking to have them for meat. They were skinny, lightweights! Several years later, I got a few Barred Rocks with some others for a laying flock. The two I kept were the best of the bunch and they were hefty birds!

I had Australorps several times and became convinced that they were fine layers, just what I wanted. The last 2 that I had were NOT, at all! (However, Olivia was one of them ;).

Steve

City Girl Farms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I like Rocks. White Rocks are big for meat, and of course good layers. Barred, Plymouth and Pencil Rocks are all eye candy, still dual purpose, and sweet.

I know now that chicks aren’t as needy as we think. Even in the winter, down to 25*, a week-old flock can survive in the coop without heat. I’m certainly not telling anyone to just toss them outside! I’m just saying I’ve been able to put them outside before spring.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have decide on getting a small flock again. Now need to keep eye out for cute coop.
So what breed do you want? Buying from a breeder or a hatchery?

How are the ducks?

Latest posts